Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mystery Part #5. What is this thing?

Number

Jun 9, 2013
I've never seen something quite like it before. I think it was in a stereo I got it from, or maybe an old TV/Radio combo, or synthesizer. idk. Either way It's got a nice shine to it & has several pins on the bottom. This is either to solder it down, or each pin has a purpose. I have not tried to wire it up, as I don't want to ruin it until I know what it is. See video below.

Link to video on Google Docs.:cool:

It's also the first part # I've entered into Google and it returned, literally, nothing.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I think you got it from something that plays tape. I'm pretty sure it's a tape head.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
by the size of it and that the head "sensor" parts are at the top and bottom of the head it looks like an audio and erase head from a VCR player

attachment.php

I cant remember if the left channel audio is the top one or the bottom one
been too many years since I serviced VCR's
The erase head erases the whole width of the tape so it "takes out" the audio and video sections of the tape

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• VCR Head.GIF
    VCR Head.GIF
    2 KB · Views: 221

Number

Jun 9, 2013
Well that's interesting. I haven't seen one of them on any of the several other VCRs I've taken apart. Perhaps they were more digital? Either way, I think it's just a cool part, as it's very shiny and smooth. I'll probably put it in the keepsake box or something. After all, VCRs aren't common (except at the thrift stores). Unless anyone knows of another application that it can be used in/for. :cool:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I haven't seen one of them on any of the several other VCRs I've taken apart.

When looking at the open VCR from the front, the audio/erase head stack is usually ( when I say usually .... I have never seen one that isnt) to the right of the main spinning video head

cheers
Dave

Number

Jun 9, 2013
When looking at the open VCR from the front, the audio/erase head stack is usually ( when I say usually .... I have never seen one that isnt) to the right of the main spinning video head

cheers
Dave

I'll definitely keep a look out for one next time I take a VCR apart. In any case, thanks for the info. :)