Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Name that LCD (AKA Fixing a pile of broken radios)

Skippy

Apr 20, 2012
First post, can anyone help...

I've got a pile of broken radios with the following LCD. The only thing that's broken about them is that the LCD backlights have gone (an alternative diagnosis is that the contrast is just set too low, but there is no way to set the contrast with the controls on the radio.

I'm looking at trying to replace the LCDs but I can't identify what they are, or find a replacement part. They have two pins for the backlight, and then a ribbon cable with the odd number of 11 pins on it.

The LCD has JY-617W-B-02 written on it.

Any idea how I could fathom out what kind of interface the LCDs take?

lcd.jpg

On another note I've tried to unsolder one of the LCDs. This didn't go very well. Has anyone seen these kind of soldered-to-SMT ribbon cables before, and has anyone got any ideas how I might go about soldering and desoldering this connection.

connector.jpg

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Those connectors are designed to be stuck down and soldered once only. If you can manage to release the double stick adhesive completely with a thin blade and adhesive remover first, you'll be able to unsolder from edge to edge in a peeling fashion. A thin wedge of heat resistant silicone or teflon can help. A rework tool capable of heating all lands simultaneously is even better.

QuantumCheese

Apr 27, 2012
Hi,

I have no idea what that part no is, but if it's a boggo LCD it will have the following pins, not necessarily in this order!

1 - Gnd
2- Vdd
3 - Vo (lcd contrast)
4- RS (register select)
5- R/W (read/write)
6- E
7 to 14 Data d0 to d7
15 - Led (backlight)
16- Led

Yes, i know that's 16!
But if the display is running in 4bit data mode which saves on bus width/pins/space etc and now you end up with 12. My guess for the odd number would be the led backlight sharing the GND or Vdd - or that the Vo is set by potential divider on the LCD itself, thus saving a pin.

Soldering those flexi tails is difficult at best. i have found that to de-solder them you need to (somehow) get you iron to cover all the pads at once, either a bit tip or lay it on sideways if you have the access. failing that apply gentle lifting pressure to one side, start to heat as many pads as you can and as the first lifts, go along the line

Hope that helps.

Carl