Maker Pro
Maker Pro

NE555 R-S bistable IC

Integrator741

Jun 16, 2013
Hello guys,

I need your help to understand whats happening inside R-S bistable part of NE555 chip.

Is it simple Cross-coupled NAND gates or something else?

Because if it would be cross-coupled nand gates the chip would have two outputs right? or am i too ignorant and I missed out something...?!

Bascule_bistable_realisee_a_portes_NAND.gif

Thanks.

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
Note that when the output is low, the discharge capacitor is ON to discharge the timing capacitor. So, there are two, complementary outputs from the flip-flop.

Capture.PNG

John

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
What a fun way to waste some time.

Along the same line of fun but useless, I have occasionally suggested to individuals who were desperate for a FYP that they program a 12F6xx chip to emulate the 555. Of course, the power pins are reversed. HighTechChips, Inc. (http://www.hightechips.com/ ) has already done some of that work.

That kit you link to led me to revisit my 555 folder, and I came across this drawing:
Capture2.PNG

It shows the flip-flop in vivid color. The source was a web page created by Glen Williamson of the School of Engineering at North Carolina State University. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the actual link any longer and hope that credit is sufficient.

John