Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need a sensor of some sort to orientate a part via a through hole

Rudyeb

Oct 7, 2015
I have a part that I need to orientate on a machine I am designing for auto assembly of the part.

The part needs to have a small brass rod inserted into a through hole . I'm okay on the insertion part but am a bit lost on how to orientate the part to receive the pin.

The hole is .106" diameter. I'm thinking of using some sort of rotary device like a turntable that would rotate until a light beam goes through the hole and is detected on the other end of the hole.. This would then stop the rotation so the part is in the correct position.

I would appreciate some input on what sort of component(s) I might use to do this ( locating hole with beam or???).

Thanks in advance.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I picture a small rod being inserted into the hole, it rotates and needs to be reorientated. before removal?

I would simply add a screw on the end of the rod with a proximity switch that would read the home position when the screw position reaches the switch.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If you want to go the light beam route, you need to look at infra red to eliminate ambient light.
See DigiKey for the TSOP receiver and TSAL transmitter LED.
M.