Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need advice regarding repairing battery holder for Sony Air-8 radio

Sciguy13325

Apr 16, 2021
Hello all,

Within my father's estate is a Sony Air-8 synthesized receiver. It appears to be in excellent shape except that dad left a set of alkaline batteries in it that ended up leaking over time. This lead to the battery holder contacts being severely degraded, making the radio inoperable. It looks as if one might be able to make a Keystone 180 battery spring contact "work" but I'm open to other informed suggestions. The pack holds 4 AAA batteries and one of the coil spring contacts has outright failed due to corrosion. I'd love to get this back in working order and then pass it on to someone who would truly appreciate the radio.
Wire missing photo.jpg Complete side.jpg

Thanks for any advice you might have. I've seen a replacement holder but it was $65 which is much more than I'm interested in spending on the fix.

Hugh Mason

Sciguy13325

Apr 16, 2021

Hi Bluejets,

There's a nifty holder for the battery holder that fits very precisely into the radio and that puts two contacts from the battery holder in direct contact with spring contacts. So while I might be able to cobble a way to use the holder you've linked to, I'd much rather "fix" the current one if at all possible. Thanks for thinking about it and offering a reasonable suggestion.

Hugh