Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need advise for multimeter

8together5

May 12, 2015
recoder function of the multimeter sounds good.If you need the app function you can support it anyway.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Tell us what you will use it for at home.
"Just test the cable sometimes"
Do you mean for continuity testing, insulation testing or something else?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
This looks interesting, but I think a Wi-Fi version would be even better. Needs more digits and more accuracy to justify buying one. Voice response app is a great idea, especially if you can download different languages.

8together5

May 12, 2015
This looks interesting, but I think a Wi-Fi version would be even better. Needs more digits and more accuracy to justify buying one. Voice response app is a great idea, especially if you can download different languages.
I donot think so about WIFI version would be better, this will lead to greater power consumption.

sunlimpid

May 12, 2015

Voice response app may be useful, other features did not play a role.

Lukedumphy

May 12, 2015
I mean continuity testing, just for simple test. For exmaple, test the battery level, or if the cable is with electricity. Or sometimes when my washing machine broken, I need to test the cable inside to ensure there is no problem on cable.

Lukedumphy

May 12, 2015
Is it accurate enough for just home use testing? Like do the conttinuity test. Thank you

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
I know this may not be exactly what you are looking for but for home use it is just perfect. Check this out:
mastech ms8216 dmm

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Good advice above.
A couple more thoughts;
If your testing a lot of batteries you should by a loaded meter (especially for automotive) or add a resistor across the leads for small batteries.
When continuity testing an audible beep is a nice feature.
A true rms feature is important if your measuring a lot of ac.
If testing primarily for household power, I recommend a solenoid (wiggy) type tester that will not give you false readings because of capacitive coupling.

Lukedumphy

May 12, 2015
Good advice above.
A couple more thoughts;
If your testing a lot of batteries you should by a loaded meter (especially for automotive) or add a resistor across the leads for small batteries.
When continuity testing an audible beep is a nice feature.
A true rms feature is important if your measuring a lot of ac.
If testing primarily for household power, I recommend a solenoid (wiggy) type tester that will not give you false readings because of capacitive coupling.

Thanks for your advise. One more question, for battery testing, I just need to know how much electricity it remains. Is multimeter enough?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks for your advise. One more question, for battery testing, I just need to know how much electricity it remains. Is multimeter enough?
How much charge remains in any battery is a complex function of the chemistry of the battery, the ambient temperature, the unloaded terminal voltage, the loaded terminal voltage, and (for NiCd batteries) the charge/discharge history. The only reliable way to "measure" the remaining charge is to know the charge/discharge history of the battery. There are integrated circuits used for battery management that can do this task fairly well for some battery chemistries. For wet-cell lead-acid batteries, the specific gravity of the electrolyte at a known temperature gives a reliable estimate of the charge condition.

AFAIK, there is no simple measurement you can make to determine the charge remaining. For primary (non-rechargable) cells, a cell is considered to be at the end of its useful life when the terminal voltage under load is no longer sufficient to power the load.

Last edited:

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
You may have voltage remaining in a battery but with little or no potential current left to drive a load. You want to know how much power is remaining in your battery, not just voltage. Both voltage and current are important factors in a circuit. Multiply them together to get the battery power in voltamps (VA).

Example; I can have a 9volt battery that is almost dead and still read almost 9volts on a meter. If you put a load (resistance) on that same battery the voltage will probably drop to maybe a few volts. That is why you cant get a good reading without loading (adding resistance) the battery. If the resistance is added and the voltage remains high, the battery power is still strong.

A typical multimeter is fine, you just have to add a resistor for testing small batteries..

Lukedumphy

May 12, 2015
How much charge remains in any battery is a complex function of the chemistry of the battery, the ambient temperature, the unloaded terminal voltage, the loaded terminal voltage, and (for NiCd batteries) the charge/discharge history.
Thanks for so detail explanation of this theory. I learn further knowledge about this from you.:)

Lukedumphy

May 12, 2015
You may have voltage remaining in a battery but with little or no potential current left to drive a load. You want to know how much power is remaining in your battery, not just voltage. Both voltage and current are important factors in a circuit. Multiply them together to get the battery power in voltamps (VA).

A typical multimeter is fine, you just have to add a resistor for testing small batteries..

Oh... get it. Thanks for your detail reply. I make up my mind to choose this model. Hope it would be fine;)