Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need builder for small power supply

SunnyTee

Jun 28, 2023
I make special props and costumes. I am building one that incorporates a compressor to inflate a portion of the costume, two bubble guns to shoot bubbles, and illumination with four leds. The compressor runs at 12 volts and consumes a fair amount of power but only needs to run for about 2 minutes the bubble guns and the LEDs consume very little power. My problem is wait. The performer has to wear this costume and weight saving is critical. I'm trying to run all of these off of the smallest possible battery or set of batteries and have a circuit board that distributes power from the 12 volt batteries to all three items listed above. Could anyone build this for me?

SunnyTee

Jun 28, 2023
This is a photograph of just a small portion of the costume

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230627_221251_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627_221251_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
The compressor runs at 12 volts and consumes a fair amount of power but only needs to run for about 2 minutes the bubble guns and the LEDs consume very little power
Specifications!!how much power?how you going to dissipate the heat?

photo_1687923704590.png

This is a photograph of just a small portion of the costume
Where are the bubbles and light supposed to come out from? small portion? compressed air! two mechanical diaphragm pumps on the hills of the shoes you put on your feet! Connected to a storage tank via One Way valve. No heat! You're left with LED lights no problemo! In fact heck I'm going to make one for Halloween instead of LEDs I'm going to use lasers!!Thank you for the idea!! Safety first!!

1687925213259.png

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
AS above but start thing LiPo cell like in r/c gear................

SunnyTee

Jun 28, 2023
Thank you for the interesting ideas and clown pictures but this is actually a real costume that I am trying to build and I'm actually looking for somebody to help me build the circuit board for pay.

So the power is planned to come from an 18V (not 12 V as I previously said) lithium ion battery pack that I have. It is is DeWalt DCB 203, vmax 20 volt 2 amp hour battery, actual voltage is 18 volts. The 18 volts can go directly to the compressor which takes an 18 volt input and draws a lot of current. The compressor is actually a Ryobi OnePlus handheld pool toy inflator. Then the power supply would also supply two bubble guns, they are made by bubble storm and they draw 4.5 volts, and four leds, these are the micropuck kits from LED supply and they draw three volts. each LED has its own controller.

It would be helpful have a single circuit board that I can mount on the inside of the costume. The circuit board would step the 18 volts down to 3 volts and 4.5 volts. Both of these are low power draw, and I do not anticipate having to dissipate much heat. The circuit board could be bolted to an interior carbon fiber surface inside the headdress of the costume.

To make it easy to assemble the costume, ideally the circuit board has wire connectors to the load side, for 18 volts, for the 3 volts, and to the 4.5 volts, so that I can take the battery out and recharge it, or connect or reconnect the other parts as I put the costume together for the final performance

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
The 18 volts can go directly to the compressor which takes an 18 volt input and draws a lot of current. The compressor is actually a Ryobi OnePlus handheld pool toy inflator
I'm not going to run around and look for specifications I'm sure you would like it done for the least amount of money help me help you.
The circuit board could be bolted to an interior carbon fiber surface inside the headdress of the costume.
reconnect the other parts as I put the costume together for the final performance
How big is the headdress what are the dimensions? Mounting hardware for the circuit board where would you like to position it ? As close to the cranium as possible.
For the dimensions of the entire costume how tall is the person going to be wearing it man woman,child ?what materials are you going to be using for the costume? fire retardant hopefully.
I could crunch your numbers for you you got to give me dimensions everything the bubbler you're going to want to use what are those dimensions.
Are you going to be standing still in one place or you want to walk around have a cocktail. feasibility study?
It is doable what are the time constraints when do you need it! Are you willing to accept possible alternatives to your idea!?
This might just be the final performance!

1687981201210.png

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
they draw 4.5 volts, and four leds, these are the micropuck kits from LED supply and they draw three volts. each LED has its own controller.
They may "run" on 4.5v but they don't "draw 4.5v"...they will draw x-amount of current.................
So run these devices from two buck regulators.
Plenty available online and relatively cheap.
You will need to know the current rating of each device to select the appropriate buck regulator.
Here is just a sample..........
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304988693907

Leds (which are not shown or any link to) may require a constant current supply which is different again......(similar but different)