Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need competent help with power supplies, filter capacitors and safety

MFDK

Jul 5, 2015
Thanks for helping me out in my first thread.

Need your help again try pointing out a right component for specific task, this time in a bit different configuration, used to solve a problem with ground potential.

noground potentialpsu.png

Normally when making these series configurations, the ground potential at the DC output will turn out be -12V.
Now with some chargers in the Radio Control world, they are also made with a USB port, so you can hook up a computer in the setup, and do things like data logging.

Especially with desktop pc's, these are always grounded, with ground potential of 0V.
If the example says this 0V ground potential have directly connection from the USB cable of the computer, to the RC charger and the DC GND output of the power supplies, you create an unexpected ground loop, a situation that could cause malfunction to the USB connection, probably do damage as well. The guidance to avoid this problem tells to remove DC ground internal from the metal case, this time in both power supplies. Then solder a filter capacitor from DC GND to the metal case and one from +12V to metal case. The capacitors then damp high frequencies coming from the AC, that would otherwise do harm to the USB connection and to my knowledge also recover some protection that you normally would lose by "floating" the DC GND completely, This should then make the units safer. If the DC GND is connected to the metal case, you face the issue with the ground potential difference, because the ground potential will be -12V.

Again, the source lacks specifications on the filter capacitors. What should I look for?

Another question for the guys who can answer:
What would it likely change on safety, when adding these capacitors rather than having DC GND to ground? Anything to be concern about?
Attached another png with the DC GND connected to ground as example.

Feel free to ask questions.

Attachments

• minus12groundpotential.png
    minus12groundpotential.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 159

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Again, the source lacks specifications on the filter capacitors. What should I look for?
Have you tried without capacitors? If that works, you don't need them. If not, try 2.2nF ...4.7nF ceramic capacitors.

What would it likely change on safety, when adding these capacitors rather than having DC GND to ground? Anything to be concern about?
These capacitors have nothing to do with safety. Safety is (or should be) ensured by the potential insulation between primary and secondary circuit within the power supply. Double or reinfiorced insulation is required. If the insulation within the power supply is not of the double or reinforced type, you should not remove the direct connection between the output and chassis. This connection then is the safety fallback in case the insulation fails. Capacitors will not help in this case.

If you're in doubt about the safety of the power supply, I recommend you do not remove the DC connection between output and chassis. Get another power supply that is better suited to your circuit needs then.

MFDK

Jul 5, 2015
Have you tried without capacitors? If that works, you don't need them. If not, try 2.2nF ...4.7nF ceramic capacitors.

If I could ground everything up properly in the setup, without issues, it would work without any. But since two DC grounded power supplies connected in series can never work out together, it is not possible.
In another example, If the computer has no ground connection and at least one device has enough ac filtering, in such case it might too work with pc and a USB connection connected. But it's not easy to tell when a device is enough protected or not. I've seen one guy damaged his laptop, because he didn't ensure any damping on the power supplies, so I suspect it is not safe leaving them out. I do not want to risk damage my pc.

I see you're a German, and it happen the instructions I am following are in German as well.
Maybe you can help me tell, with the quotes I am posting here below, what I read is rubbish or not.
To me it's explaining well, in what configuration with ground connection, to expect a setup with a computer connected to work, and also what purposes the capacitors have.

I do understand removing the DC completely from the chassis might be a bad idea. That's why I really need to know what I am doing here of maybe dangerous stuff. These server units definitely do not have double isolation, since they're normally mounted and further protected inside a server.
In all circumstances whatever I end up with these power supplies, however, I do plan to reinforce them. Thanks for your post!

-Erde vom Minuspol trenne(Leiterbahnen aufrennen, Brücken auslöten)..

-WechselstromKondensator zwischen Erde und MinusPol einlöten(statt der Brücke).

-Wechselstromkondensator zwischen Erde und PlusPol einlöten(da mußt du mal schaun wo das am besten geht, vieleicht mit Ringöse).

Welche Wechselstromkondensatoren du verwenden kannst, hängt erstmal vom Lochraster der Brücke ab. Sie sollen aber mindestens 150V Wechselstrom aushalten können, möglichst viel Kapazität haben und impulsfähig sein.

Die SchutzDioden lötest du auf die Kontaktbleche, wie weiter ober schon mal beschrieben.

USB zu einem Rechner mit nicht geerdetem RechnerNT(z.B. bei vielen Laptop mit potenzialfreihem NT), funktioniert nur mit einem potenzialfreiem LaderNT an dem die HF mit WechselstromKondensatoren gedämpf ist..
USB zu einem Rechner mit geerdetem RechnerNT(z.B. DesktopPC), funktioniert nur mit einem an Minus geerdetem LaderNT, oder mit einem potenzialfreihem LaderNT an dem die HF mit WechselstromKondensatoren gedämpf ist.

Ein mittig geerdetes DoppelNT(Erde an der Verbindung zwischen beiden NTs), hat an den unteren 12V ein ein Minuspotenzial von -12V. Die oberen 12V sind an Minus geerdet, haben also ein Minuspotenzial von 0V und ist damit auch nicht potenzialfrei, und ist damit auch nicht für USB zu deinem potenzialfreiem Laptop geeignet.

Solange du das DoppelNT nur zur Stromversorgung des Laders verwenden willst, ist die Mittig Erdung schon sinnvoll. USB wir dann aber nur funktionieren, wenn dein Rechner geerdet ist(Minuspotenzial=0V,z.B. DesktopPC) und dein Lader auch mit den an Minus geerdeten 12V(Minuspotenzial=0V) versorgt wird.

Will man völlig unabhängig davon sein wie das RechnerNT geerdet ist(Minuspotezial=0V=PC, oder potenzialfrei=Laptop), sollte man das NT (egal ob Sngel-oder DoppelNT) potenzialfrei und HF gedämpft(mit wechselspannungskondensatoren) auslegen. Bei einem DoppelNT hat das auch noch den Vorteil, das du auch an den potenzialfreien und HFgedämpften 24V die USB-Verbindung zu einem beliebig geerdeten Rechner nutzen kannst.

An einem NT das im Orginalzustand geerdet ist kann man USB nur zusammen mit einem geerdeten Computer verwenden, da sonst die HF des nicht-geerdeten Computer die USB-Verbindung stört. Will man so ein NT auch mit einer USB-Verbindung zu einem nicht geerden Computer nutzen, muß man das NT auf potenzialfrei und HF gedämpft umbauen. So umgebaut, kann man dann auch zwei dieser NTs in Reihe betreiben ohne das zwischen den beiden NT ein Kurtschluß ensteht, oder die USB-Verbindung gestört wird(egal ob der Computer geerdet oder nicht-geerdet ist.

Das Dämpfen der HF mit Kondensator fuktioniert übrigens auch nur bei potenzialfrei gemachten NT-Ausgang. Bei geerdetem NT-Ausgang ist das dämpfen der HF ja aber auch garnicht nötig damit USB funktioniert, solange der Computer auch geerdet ist(also bei DesktopPCs oder geerdeten LaptopNT).

Sicherheitsmaßnahmen

Die Regelkreise in einem vernüftigen NT werden ständig an mehreren Stellen Überwacht. Sobald da irgend eine Spannung ausserhalb der Parametergrenzen gerät, schalte das NT ab.

Gegen mechanische Defekte hilft die Überwachung aber in selten Fällen nicht ausreichend, und da kommt dann die Erdung, FI-Schalter oder Sicherung ins Spiel. Das kann natürlich nur funktionieren, wenn das NT auch ordnugsgemäß verkabelt ist.

Damit eventuell aufs Gehäuse übersprinende Fehlspannungen nicht über den Menschen sondern über den Schuktzkontakt(Erdung) abgeleitet werden können, muß das Metallgehäuse in jedem Fall immer festen mit dem Schuko verbunden sein. Um unkotrollierte Fehlspannungen auch vom NT-GleichspannungsAusgang ableiten zu können, muß eigendlich auch der NT-Ausgang(am besten am MinusPol) mit dem Schuko verbunden sein. In der Regel ist aber die WechselspannungsSeite im NT ausreichend von der GleichspannungsSeite isoliert. Zumindestens gibt es dazu Sicherheitsrichtlinien, die bei einem vernüftigen NT auch erfüllt sein müßen(Überspannungstest). Daher ist ne direkte Verbinung zwischen Schuko und Gleichspannungsausgang erst ab 50V unbedingt vorgeschrieben. Bei Gleichspannungen unter 50V darf man die direkte Verbindung zwischen Gleichspannungsausgang und Schuko auch weck lassen(alle Ausgänge potenzialfrei). Mit dem kompletten Abtrennen des Schukos vom GleichspannungsAusgang, beschneide man aber die Sicherungswirksamkeit auf den Gleichspannungsausgang eines eventuell vorhandenen FI-Schalters. Damit die Sicherheitswirkung auf den NT-AUsgang mit dem FI-Schalter weiter erhalten bleibt, müßen entsprechend große Wechselspannungskondensatoren über die Isolierung zwischen Ausganspolen und Schuko gelötet sein. So kann der FI-Schalter trotz potenzialfreiem NT-Ausgan, eventuell auftrettende Wechselströme auch auf den GleichspannungsAusgangsPolen erkennen, und dementsprechend reagieren. Zum Auslösen einer normalen SchmelzSicherung reicht so ein Wechselspannungskondensator natürlich nicht aus. Den Auslösestrom fürs Auslösen des FI-Schalters überträgt ein ausreichend großer und spannungsfester Kondensator aber noch problemlos. Sicherheitstechnisch bringen solche Wechselstromkondensatoren also nur einen Vorteil, wenn auch ein FI-Schalter im Sicherungskasten vorhanden ist. Nebeneffekt der Wechelsspannungskondensatoren ist (wie ganz am Anfang des Freds schon beschrieben), das sie auch die HF auf dem NTausgang dämpfen.
Source: rc-network.de

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Please don't expect me to translate the whole text, sorry,

In my view the important parts are:
Damit eventuell aufs Gehäuse übersprinende Fehlspannungen nicht über den Menschen sondern über den Schuktzkontakt(Erdung) abgeleitet werden können, muß das Metallgehäuse in jedem Fall immer festen mit dem Schuko verbunden sein.
To discharge dangerous voltages in case of a failure not to a human but to earth, the metallic housing has to be connected in all cases to protective earth.

Um unkotrollierte Fehlspannungen auch vom NT-GleichspannungsAusgang ableiten zu können, muß eigendlich auch der NT-Ausgang(am besten am MinusPol) mit dem Schuko verbunden sein. In der Regel ist aber die WechselspannungsSeite im NT ausreichend von der GleichspannungsSeite isoliert. Zumindestens gibt es dazu Sicherheitsrichtlinien, die bei einem vernüftigen NT auch erfüllt sein müßen(Überspannungstest). Daher ist ne direkte Verbinung zwischen Schuko und Gleichspannungsausgang erst ab 50V unbedingt vorgeschrieben. Bei Gleichspannungen unter 50V darf man die direkte Verbindung zwischen Gleichspannungsausgang und Schuko auch weck lassen(alle Ausgänge potenzialfrei).
To keep uncontrolled erro voltages away from the DC output of the power supply, this output is best connected to protective earth, too. Typically the AC side is well enough isolated from the DC side (we're coming back here to the double or reinforced insulation, see post #2). At least there are safety standards that should be fulfilled in a good power supply. ...For voltages less than 50V the direct connection from output to Earth can therefore be omitted.

These server units definitely do not have double isolation, since they're normally mounted and further protected inside a server.
The mounting of the power supply within server racks is no reason why the power supplies should not have double or reinforced insulation. The servers are accessible by humans, so are the interfaces to and from the servers. Therefore a failure within the power supply has the potential to damage human operators and the power supplies need to be save accordingly.

I can only repeat: If you're not sure about the safety features of the power supplies in question, get newones, suitable ones, with plus/minus outputs.
It is difficult to impossible to upgrade an existing power supply to higher safety standards than the ones it was designed for.

MFDK

Jul 5, 2015
@Harald Kapp
No please do not translate the whole text. it's not necessary. :)

thanks for the clarification, appreciated!