Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need current sensing relay

E

Earl Kiosterud

Jan 1, 1970
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a relay I can put in series with a TV set to sense when it's on. The TV
uses between 175 and 240 Watts, depending mostly on the backlight setting -- it's an LDC
TV). So the current will be roughly 1.5 to 2 Amps AC. The contacts need to handle 1/2 A at
120 Volts AC. I know I could wire up something solid state, with a series resistor and some
circuitry driving a triac, but I'm looking for something simple and quick. Any ideas?

Thanks.

E

Earl Kiosterud

Jan 1, 1970
Eric,

Thanks. But a relay whose operating current was roughly that of the TV would drop only the
Voltage it needs. It wouldn't need the diodes and other stuff. I'm hoping. I could still
add the diodes so that when the TV power was higher (the screen is turned up brighter), it'd
limit the Voltage across the relay. The relay would need to be just sensitive enough to
operate with the lower current of the TV.

Back in the days of turntables, there were boxes into which you plugged your turntable,
which had a relay whose coil was in series with the turntable. The contacts operated
another circuit to power other gear when the turntable was running. This would be similar,
but since there's quite a bit more current available (how much current would a turntable
draw?), the voltage drop ought to be really low. I guess it's just a matter of getting the
right coil impedance, given the power the coil needs.

Hey, lemme ask a similar qestion. Anyone know of a small relay whose coil is easily
rewindable? I could rewind it with whatever gauge wire would give the optimum results. The
relay need be a somewhat sensitive one (not big heavy contacts with a big fat spring etc).

neon

Oct 21, 2006
when there is current on the TV it means there is the voltage there. and sensing that is much easyer. monitor the voltage then drive a triac or relay to do whatever ,whatfor.