Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help. 7.8v ac

Caspertheghost

Jan 30, 2023
So, I built something to attempt to gather voltage from the environment around me.
It's showing that it's picking up 7.8v AC @ 60.0 hz.
Is there any feasible thing that can be done with such a low ac voltage?
I'm new to all this, and any information would be helpful!
Thank you everyone.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
That sounds spooky. Step outside your haunted house and it will disappear. More than likely you're picking up the mains (if you're in the US 110 or 220 Vac voltage at 60 HZ) .in the walls of your house. Hahaha! And it is attenuated or reduced to 7.8Vac . By the time it gets to your multimeter. Boo!

Caspertheghost

Jan 30, 2023
That sounds spooky. Step outside your haunted house and it will disappear. More than likely you're picking up the mains (if you're in the US 110 or 220 ac voltage at 60 HZ) .in the walls of your house. Hahaha!
Oh, I completely understand that it's caused by the mains and all the devices in the house.
I'm just curious if anything can be done with such a low voltage. Even when I move away from the device it produces a constant 7.8 v ac.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
It is floating like you if you hook it up to a load then it will disappear. Boo! There's nothing you can Doo!
Edit try an LED see if it blinks.
But that is the way of the dark side my little Padawan.

Caspertheghost

Jan 30, 2023
So, in essence the collector is acting as a capacitor?
When I connect the negative lead of the multimeter to ground, not to negative outlet, it stays constant at 7.8v, the multimeter is not acting as a load?
Even when I ground the device, immediately plugging in multimeter in place of ground it is constantly at 7.8v.
Maybe you are right. I tried an LED already, but I thought I had to hook up a rectifier to convert the ac to DC for the diode to light?

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I knew it! I should have been a dentist. It's like pulling teeth to get information. Show me a schematic or your breadboard and we shall go from there. What's that behind you... watch out!

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Maybe you are right. I tried an LED already, but I thought I had to hook up a rectifier to convert the ac to DC for the diode to light
No my little Padawan. I am neither right or wrong I am just trying to convey information that others have mastered before me. I too seek knowledge, how to pass on what I have learned.So take a deep breath and do your best..maybe we can teach each other.