Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help and ideas

rajansn24

Oct 9, 2016
Hi sir,
I am having Philips Portable Speaker.It is battery based.There are 4 rechargeable batteries used to power ON the speaker. We can hear the music with good clarity for 1 hour. After 1 hour the clarity of sound went bad due to the discharging of
batteries. So i need to remove the 4 batteries from the speaker and put it for recharging. Due to this, i found inconvenience to use this speaker. So I want to give the power permanently to the speaker by using power supply or power adapter.Is it possible?
Here i have given the details of the speaker specifications.
Name: Philips Portable Speaker
Model No: SBA1710/00
Battery: Ni-Cad 1100mAh 1.5v (4x1.5v)
Speaker Serial No: XU1A1352017172

Thanks and Regards,
Nagarajan.S

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Yes, it is possible, I have done it to power an audio system from the USA which was plugged in to the UK power and went fizz.

I used the alternative battery input which still worked.
Make one or more wooden batteries to fit the battery holder. Place a sheet of tin plate at the positive and negative connections. Solder a black and red wire to the appropriate place and connect this to your power supply.

Make sure the power is the right way round.

The power supply needs to be 6V stabilised and 1A is probably enough. A plug and socket is more convenient than a fixed connection.
In my case, I used an unstabilised supply and fitted a LM317T stabiliser in the battery compartment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The Philips speaker is only 4W so the current from the battery is only about 4W/6V= 667mA at full blast, or an average of about 133mA when playing speech or music. It does not come with a battery. Ni-Cad battery cells are very old and had low capacity, maybe yours are finished. Modern rechargeable battery cells are Ni-MH and have a capacity of 2300mAh which will play the speaker for about 2300/133= 17 hours for each charge.
But use a 6V power supply if you want.

rajansn24

Oct 9, 2016
Yes, it is possible, I have done it to power an audio system from the USA which was plugged in to the UK power and went fizz.

I used the alternative battery input which still worked.
Make one or more wooden batteries to fit the battery holder. Place a sheet of tin plate at the positive and negative connections. Solder a black and red wire to the appropriate place and connect this to your power supply.

Make sure the power is the right way round.

The power supply needs to be 6V stabilised and 1A is probably enough. A plug and socket is more convenient than a fixed connection.
In my case, I used an unstabilised supply and fitted a LM317T stabiliser in the battery compartment.

Hi Sir,
Thanks for your reply.Let me check it out and reach you

rajansn24

Oct 9, 2016
The Philips speaker is only 4W so the current from the battery is only about 4W/6V= 667mA at full blast, or an average of about 133mA when playing speech or music. It does not come with a battery. Ni-Cad battery cells are very old and had low capacity, maybe yours are finished. Modern rechargeable battery cells are Ni-MH and have a capacity of 2300mAh which will play the speaker for about 2300/133= 17 hours for each charge.
But use a 6V power supply if you want.

Hi Sir,
Thanks for your reply.Let me check it out and reach you