Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help building or finding a 5/7.3/8Vdc power supply.

bstegner

Feb 23, 2020
I have recently come in to possession of a Videonics MXPro DV video mixer that was built around the year 2000 (retail $2500). I am wanting to use this as a TBC (Timebase Corrector) to help in the transferring old VHS tapes to digital. The problem is I need a power supply for it and its not a simple one. I could not find any for sale on ebay or searching Google. It has a 8 pin DIN male connector and caries 3 different voltages; +5Vdc/5.0A, +7.3Vdc/0.6A and -8Vdc/0.4A. See the pin out in the picture that I found on Google. I know enough about electronics to solder on broken parts and test/replace capacitors and have a single output bench power supply and a Weller Digital Soldering Station, but not sure how I could even rig something up to work. Here are some of my questions...

1. It shows 3 pins with +5V, can/should this be one 5V leg? that is split to each pin? Or will I need 3 discrete 5V power supplies?
2. I ass-u-me that there are 3 Grounds, one for each of the different voltages?
3. How do I add just a -8V leg without a +8V leg?
4. If I get 3 or 4 donor power supplies in the needed voltages and amps, would I be able to just plug them all into a power strip after wiring them all up to correct pins and power the device safely? Assuming no lose connections or unplugging/turning off one of the power supplies at different times.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

9aw4YCY.jpg

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
1. It shows 3 pins with +5V, can/should this be one 5V leg? that is split to each pin? Or will I need 3 discrete 5V power supplies?
Check whether all the Grounds are Electrically Common. If yes, all the +5 volts can be from the same supply.

3. How do I add just a -8V leg without a +8V leg?
A separate 8 Volts supply with the +ve grounded.

4. If I get 3 or 4 donor power supplies in the needed voltages and amps, would I be able to just plug them all into a power strip after wiring them all up to correct pins and power the device safely? Assuming no lose connections or unplugging/turning off one of the power supplies at different times.
Yes.