Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need Help Creating a digital display that counts and saves numbers

Oran

Nov 26, 2015
39710-2944651.jpg

Hi all,

Me and my friends are taking part in this years BT Young Enterprise event (We create a product and sell it). We have our idea of a simple 4 number digital display (examples above) that counts and saves numbers, a digit can be added by pressing a button on the top. We are pretty happy with our idea but we don't have much knowledge in creating electronic devices and need some pointers on where to start. What do we need to buy? How would we put it together. Like I said we don't have much knowledge in electronics but we are ready and willing to learn. We're trying to keep it small enough to fit on a RIS gun rail. Any help at all is much appreciated,
Oran.

Confirmed_kill_USP-S.jpg
This is basically what we're trying to create.​

Attachments

• Confirmed_kill_USP-S.jpg
    Confirmed_kill_USP-S.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 88

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
You need to provide more info( " device requirements ").
"...that counts and saves numbers, a digit can be added by pressing a button on the top..."
Counts numbers?- what numbers?
Saves?- where ?
a digit can be added ?- not clear what you mean.

there are lot more things like :
What is the power source, how bright the display ,how long will the device operate etc.

Oran

Nov 26, 2015
You need to provide more info( " device requirements ").
"...that counts and saves numbers, a digit can be added by pressing a button on the top..."
Counts numbers?- what numbers?
Saves?- where ?
a digit can be added ?- not clear what you mean.

there are lot more things like :
What is the power source, how bright the display ,how long will the device operate etc.

Thanks for the reply,
Basically we're trying to create a battery powered device that displays a number counter. It would have a button on it that, when pressed, adds +1 to the number count. When the device is turned off, it should have the same number count as it had before when it is turned back on. Operating could be hours, but, it would be nice if the display was on a timer so it would turn off if the button hadn't been pressed for a while. Hope this is enough info,
Oran.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Oran,
When the battery is totally empty or being replaced(not simply "on/off").
Is it important for the "count" to be saved and reused or can it be discarded?

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Much as I hate to say it, this project screams PIC, one of their super low power critters and a serial input LCD display. That gets you flash memory for the total count, a battery-save timer, etc. What you really want is for the watch IC wizards at Casio or Citizen to whip up a counter chip. Those guys drive LCD displays continuously for 7 *years* on one battery.

BTW - if the only way to increment the display is by pushing a button, do you really need 6 digits? 999,999 button pushes is a lot.

ak