Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help designing 200 volt power supply.

drstrangebrain

May 3, 2015
This is a picture of a 200 volt DC circuit I need to build. Unfortunately, I haven't build an electrical circuit in 25 years and I need help figuring out the wattage and designing a power supply for it. I can still build circuits but I need someone to help me get restarted. Thanks.

Attachments

• EPSON002-1-1.jpg
    EPSON002-1-1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 147

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Where is the rest of the circuit diagram? Please upload a link to the site you obtained this from. Good luck finding an 800 volt, 500 microfarad, capacitor. Those were large even for professional xenon flash illuminators used in photography. Very dangerous, too, when charged. Please try to explain exactly what you are trying to do. What is the purpose of the switch? What is the purpose of the two capacitors (one labeled -200 V)? Where do you propose to connect your power supply? Is that a piezo-electric motion transducer on the right side of the drawing? What does it move? Did you get the circuit from here?

This is waaay beyond the capabilities of most amateurs. The switching alone is a daunting task because of the voltages and currents required, although some MOSFETs may be capable. You need to specify how fast you want to cycle the transducer because that determines how fast you need to recharge the capacitors, which in turn determines how much power you will need. The main capacitor needs to have a very low ESR (effective series resistance) and also very low inductance. Something NOT electrolytic in all probability, which means it will be physically LARGE. If you can solve the switching and capacitor component problems, charging those puppys up will be a piece of cake.

Last edited:

drstrangebrain

May 3, 2015
I discussed this with him and he's now considering a simpler circuit. Like I said, I haven't done this for a long time and only now getting back into this. we may have something else that I will post. Thanks.