Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help finding a 12V car power cord 2.1mm

Shobuddy

Jan 13, 2015
I have a portable air compressor for cars thats missing its power cable. It takes a 2.1mm plug and should hook up to the car cigarette lighter on the other end. It obviously need to be long (about 10 feet) so that it can reach all four tires. I bought the item below on ebay but it died after two seconds of use, literally.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-1...131003132420&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=291326757760&rt=nc

I've looked all over amazon and googled but cannot find a similar product that would work for me. I'm posting in the hopes that someone may be able to point me to where I can find this product.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I have a portable air compressor for cars thats missing its power cable. It takes a 2.1mm plug and should hook up to the car cigarette lighter on the other end. It obviously need to be long (about 10 feet) so that it can reach all four tires. I bought the item below on ebay but it died after two seconds of use, literally.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-12V-24V-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Charge-Line-Adaptor-Power-DC-Plug-Cord/400825842158?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=ba5d289349e34b95843d2d2a82fca5af&pid=100005&prg=20131003132420&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=291326757760&rt=nc

I've looked all over amazon and googled but cannot find a similar product that would work for me. I'm posting in the hopes that someone may be able to point me to where I can find this product.
Go to RadioShack. They should have a universal adaptor for a 12V cig. adaptor. It will come with, or be able to accept multiple different sized barrel tips. The cord however is not 10ft so you may need to make some modifications. Additionally, it is important to note that the cig. outlet in a car is not meant for heavy use, so it is entirely possible that the compressor popped a fuse. (Check the dash fuse, or the fuse in the cig adaptor if it still does not work)

*If at all possible, find the current rating on the device... it's unlikely, but it would be ideal if it were stamped on the device somewhere.

Link! : http://www.radioshack.com/dc-12v-car-adapters

Shobuddy

Jan 13, 2015
Thanks for the response. I will try Radio Shack. I should have clarified that I found a few 12V adapters online but none of them were long enough and that seems to be the biggest hurdle, is finding one with a long cord. The fuse is fine as I'm able to charge my phone on that outlet. I will check the product rating this evening.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
and that seems to be the biggest hurdle, is finding one with a long cord.

That is because of the huge voltage drop at 12V when drawing several amps or more of current
the shorter the better

Dave

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
That is because of the huge voltage drop at 12V when drawing several amps or more of current
the shorter the better

Dave
It's also possible to compensate by using larger conductor... but you pay for it!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
which is what I do for my ham radio gear when I can be drawing up to 20A from the battery

Shobuddy

Jan 13, 2015
Did not find the ratings stamped on the product and I don't have the manual either. Is it worth looking into a new power cord? The one I got from ebay crapped out in two seconds and even for those two seconds, the compressor was barely turning which tells me it was not getting enough power. If I get a longer cord, will it provide enough power for the compressor?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Did not find the ratings stamped on the product and I don't have the manual either. Is it worth looking into a new power cord? The one I got from ebay crapped out in two seconds and even for those two seconds, the compressor was barely turning which tells me it was not getting enough power. If I get a longer cord, will it provide enough power for the compressor?
Well, there is more than one reason for it turning slowly...
-Increased load, or poor mechanical lubrication will cause the motor to work harder and slower.
-Poor conductor, when pulling current through the conductor, the 12V from the car could easily drop.
-Car not running, the alternator will put out 14.4 volts. When turned off, all accessories rely on the battery charge which will usually lie between 12.5v and 11.5V while the engine is not running.

So... check the compressor and make sure the parts are properly cared for... ei, not rusted or sticking.
When you use a replacement power cord, make sure the conductor is as short as you can get away with... additional length must be compensated with a thicker cable, or there will be an increased voltage drop.
Try running it with the car's engine on.

As one more alternative. Higher power accessories will occasionally offer battery clamps. You bypass the cig lighter and go right to the battery. The cable used is thicker, and you don't run the risk of cooking the potentially undersized wiring in your dash by pulling a few amps from a socket that was never meant to work that hard.

Of course, this is all assumptions based on worst case scenarios...

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
With these small compressors and their weak, short cords it's often better to extend or replace the air hose than extend the electrical cord.