Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help finding a connector

MadHamish264

Dec 24, 2013
I'm working on a project where I need to measure 30 voltages simultaneously inside of a sealed 16.5" x 20" enclosure. Since the measuring equipment must remain outside of the enclosure, I need some kind of plug with 60 terminals that mounts on the side of the enclosure and will go through the panel to the individual positive and negative ends of each unit that needs measurement.

At first I was thinking something along the lines of this:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#terminal-blocks/=py3udf

Fitting 30 circuits with these, however, will take up too big of a footprint.

My next thought was go smaller with some kind of standard pin and socket connector but was having a hard time imagining how I would get each pin to act as a seperate circuit.

I feel like there is an easy part out there that will fit my application here, I just don't know what to look for (ME background, not very good with electronics). Any assistance from you guys would be extremely helpful.

The panel thickness is 11mm btw.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
What max. voltage level do you need to measure?
The size of the connector depends on the air-gap and creepage which in turn is determined by the operating voltage.

Are these really 30 different voltages, or do they share a common ground? In that case 31 pins are enough (30 voltages + 1 ground).

Last edited:

MadHamish264

Dec 24, 2013
Im measuring the charge of 3v capacitors, so I can imagine the working voltage needing to be much higher than that.

And yes they can share a common ground, so 31 pins would work.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
well if they are only 3V capacitors, then they will only have 3V across each of them
hey

Dave