Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help finding a microprocessor

KeithM

Nov 3, 2015
I've ordered 10 meters of non-addressable 5050 12v RGB strips to do some custom lighting in my office/bedroom. I want to design my own controller board that will allow me to drive the individual strips off of an app on my computer.

I've got everything to do with the app and communication to the board figured out, but now I need to design the controller board and I've been having trouble finding a microprocessor to suit my needs.

I want to be able to drive 4 strips off of one board, so that means I'll need 3*4=12 PWM outputs on one microprocessor.

I've been searching through Atmel's catalog of microprocessors using their PWM search filter, but I'm unable to find a board that's not overkill. Most of the boards I'm finding have a ton more outputs then I need.

To sum it up: Do you know of a microprocessor that is easy to solder by hand, has 12 PWM outputs, and can be bought in single units somewhere?

It's starting to look like I might just need to connect 2-3 microprocessors together through something like I2C and have each one drive a couple strips.

KeithM

Nov 3, 2015
Arduino Due.
54 input/outputs, 12 of which can be used for pwm.
Thanks so much! I don't know why I didn't think of looking to see if there was an Arduino that had what I wanted :p