Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need Help Identifying HDMI pin outs from a VGA Convertor to HDMI Plug

twiggs462

Mar 18, 2023
Need help identifying pins 1-17 from the adapter to the HDMI plug on my raspberry pi. I want to solder these directly but do not know the correct pin outs. I only have 17 wires and count 19 pins on the plugs that have pins exposed. Thanks for any help you can provide.

The next two photos are the pin outs from the VGA to HDMI convertor...

IMG_4509.JPG

IMG_4510.JPG

This is the old plug form the convertor - I cannot tell where the lines go.

IMG_4511.JPG

I want to solder the pins from the convertor board to the pins on the back of this port. I need help correlating the pins outs from the top two images to this pin out.

IMG_4512.JPG

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Here's the pinout for HDMI - the signals on your PCB are marked slightly differently but can be decoded e.g. your PCB pin 1 is shown as D2P which corresponds to the HDMI signal TMDS data2 + (pin1 of the HDMI connector).

Note the use of P for + and N for -. The 'numbers (0, 1 and 2) correspond to the channels 'data0' or 'data1' or data2' etc. The others are marked similarly along with the usual CK (clock) and SD (serial) with the 'power' being the +5V pin on the HDMI (pin 18).

Attachments

• HDMI.png
    HDMI.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 4

twiggs462

Mar 18, 2023
Here's the pinout for HDMI - the signals on your PCB are marked slightly differently but can be decoded e.g. your PCB pin 1 is shown as D2P which corresponds to the HDMI signal TMDS data2 + (pin1 of the HDMI connector).

Note the use of P for + and N for -. The 'numbers (0, 1 and 2) correspond to the channels 'data0' or 'data1' or data2' etc. The others are marked similarly along with the usual CK (clock) and SD (serial) with the 'power' being the +5V pin on the HDMI (pin 18).

Thank you for this information and reply. I follow what you are saying. The only think I am curious of is that because I am looking from the "rear" of the pin out of the HDMI male plug... can you help me understand what the pin numbers are? Where does 1 start and 19 end?

I think once I have that I should be good. Thanks again!

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Hello there :)Different manufacturers use different colors on the ungrouped strands.
Newer HDMI cables have 19 + pins all the older ones may have 15 to 17. Each shielded packet carry the data positive data negative pairs. Not the third uninsulated wire. The industry does not like DIY HDMI connections to be made. You must rewire according to the version type standard HDMI cable you are using.
The 19 pins are allocated as two rows. The numbering starts from the right and progresses alternatively between the top and bottom rows

1679210608316.jpg

twiggs462

Mar 18, 2023
From this I am using a Type A connector. My question and I am sorry to keep asking this. But does that pin out guide assume looking into the actual male plug or are these pin out from the side that would be soldered. I just need to know if the left or right side of my pins on the last photo of my initial post is where pin one starts.

the fact these alternate makes it easier for me to match them up. Thanks. I'm close!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Pins and orientation in the post above (#4) are as viewing IN to the connector from the open end. Although I haven't checked, there is usually some marking denoting pin 1 - potentially numbers 1 and 19 embossed on the connector somewhere.

Safest bet would be to use a made up cable and cut the appropriate end off and wire the free cores accordingly.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
But does that pin out guide assume looking into the actual male plug or are these pin out from the side that would be soldered.
I think you'd be better if you use crimp connectors. The following video was chosen for the process of crimping leads to connector they are trying to sell you something at the end but I do not endorse it ,only the crimping part. thank you.
There must be a conversion step in the adapter
DVI is 100% digital interface no A to D,D to A conversion takes place & it's not sensitive to the phase changes of the conductor cable with respect to the common analog
transmission technologies VGA, SVGA, UXGA,XGA.
Screenshot_20230321_072429_1679411363496.png