Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need Help Identifying SMD component (gone missing) on Samsung Tablet

In Kamloops

Oct 22, 2017
By any chance, would someone have a Samsung Galaxy Tab E motherboard laying around, and could help me identify an SMD component (red arrow in photos), or lead me in the right direction to find what it is?

It is missing in action because it sprung from my tweezers in the kitchen!

Embarrassing Background Story
My wife's Samsung Galaxy Tab E stopped charging and holding it in my hands while it was plugged in to charge, I felt a hot spot on the screen up near the camera. I pulled the cover off and discovered a chip near the charging port was burning hot to the touch (red square in photos).

Being the eager beaver I am, I tried to to replace it myself with my new hot air gun. It was my first time working on SMD stuff. My inexperience with SMD showed itself immediately. Instead of putting the tweezers on the chip first and then heating it with the gun, I did it the opposite way... heated first and then tried to lift it off with the tweezer in my unsteady hand. LOL. I bumped the other components of their pads. 1st lesson learned.

This one component is now missing because I picked it up with the tweezers and the spring tension in the tweezers launched it. Gone! 2nd lesson learned.

I have the replacement chip, solder paste, solder wick, etc. to do the job. Just need to know what that component is. I'm not sure if it is a capacitor or a resistor. It's not light tan color like the capacitor beside it, and it doesn't look as dark as the resistors nearby.

I desperately want to fix her tablet because she has a lot of files and photos on it which she needs and she didn't think to make a back up of.

I thought I'd ask here first before I buy another motherboard to take parts from.

Thanks in advance.
BlaineScreen Shot 2019-07-21 at 4.10.29 PM.png20190515_180121.jpg 20190721_193402.jpg 20190721_193428.jpg

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have the replacement chip, solder paste, solder wick, etc. to do the job. J

hi there
don't want to burst you bubble but .....
the chances of replacing this IC chip with a standard soldering iron and a bit of solder wick etc at home are extremely unlikely.
The chip capacitor on the other hand would be reasonably straight forward .... it's probably a 0.01uF or close to that

In Kamloops

Oct 22, 2017
Thanks for the answer. I'll try that.
I agree. I wouldn't attempt it with an iron. I bought a hot air soldering station.
Thanks again. I'll report back with my progress.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Get some mylar tape to mask off components you aren't working on. It will help prevent other components desoldering themselves while you work on their neighbours.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Audio contraire . . . . . additionally

Hand fabricate an aluminum foil heat shield, with the required cut out window.
( Audio= what you get with a hair trigger sensitivity Spell Check . . . . Vice . . .Au )

On your cap, you see a like physical size just below to the left mounted in a hoz plane and another
to the far right. If you have cap measuring capability, and after looking at the 5703 data sheet and
an application note, 0.1 ufd is the more realistic value.
This unit switches at low RF frequencies, so the two larger block capacitors are the units filter capacitors.
Preferable to get the balled option . . .shown below ***. . . instead of the merely tinned tabs, as some are.

PLUS . . . was the unit into an inoperable state ? as those chips DO run pretty WARM when charging !

upload_2019-7-22_3-32-19.png

73's de Edd . . . . .

Two rules of success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Last edited: