Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need Help identifying unknown circuit..

Tabbs

Aug 2, 2017
I'm almost a complete beginner when it comes to electronics but my friend got scammed when buying a "hard drive" online and instead received a plastic box with this circuit detached in it.
The pictures attached show both sides of the circuit.
Does anyone know what it can do and/or be used for or if any of the components can be salvaged?

Circuit_Side_2.jpg Circuit_Side_1.jpg

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
It's a hard disk interface board usually fitted into casings that accept a small IDE or SATA drive. Otherwise known as external HDD adapter.

The drive mechanism plugs into the black socket and you connect it to your PC/laptop using a simple USB cable.

If you have a spare 2.5" HDD then put the board back in the case and fit the drive into it.

Voila! One portable HDD.

Suggest your friend re-reads the description of what he ordered......

Tabbs

Aug 2, 2017
It's a hard disk interface board usually fitted into casings that accept a small IDE or SATA drive. Otherwise known as external HDD adapter.

The drive mechanism plugs into the black socket and you connect it to your PC/laptop using a simple USB cable.

If you have a spare 2.5" HDD then put the board back in the case and fit the drive into it.

Voila! One portable HDD.

Suggest your friend re-reads the description of what he ordered......

Ohh thanks, I at least noticed something needed to be plugged into the socket but i wasn't sure what.
I'll be sure to warn him next time when he buys random HDD adaptors.. ^^

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I'm almost a complete beginner when it comes to electronics but my friend got scammed when buying a "hard drive" online and instead received a plastic box with this circuit detached in it.

it's definitely a USB to SATA adaptor
I see no circuitry or reference to an IDE drive