Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help locating timing switch

Erich

Jun 7, 2015
Hey guys,
I'm working on one of my cars and I'm having an issue with the sunroof. The timing switch is busted and I would rather replace just the switch than replace the whole motor.

Here's a picture of the switch I need (the blue item)

Attachments

• RRCSRMOT2.JPG
    RRCSRMOT2.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 94

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It's hard to say what it is, but it looks like it could be some sort of can operated microswitch

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi Erich, those sun roof and electric windows also have relays too.
Have you actually tested the switch with a meter?

If your sun roof opens fine but continues clicking when you close it it's most likely the relay. And vice versa opening.

As Steve said. It's a cam activated micro switch that throws the relays.

Last edited:

Erich

Jun 7, 2015
Hi Erich, those sun roof and electric windows also have relays too.
Have you actually tested the switch with a meter?

If your sun roof opens fine but continues clicking when you close it it's most likely the relay. And vice versa opening.

As Steve said. It's a cam activated micro switch that throws the relays.
Hey buddy, thanks for the reply.
That picture is a generic one I found, but the issue with mine is that the black buttons that the cam presses against are worn down and no longer make contact with the cam. If I manually press the buttons in, the motor will operate no problem.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
"That picture is a generic one I found"

The switch in that picture I can find no reference to. Sorry.
It appears to be 4mm thick and off the shelf are 6mm.
Can you confirm this?
Is your switch exactly the same as in the pic?

You can try and open the swith and replace the plastic/nylon cam contact section using a dremel or similar.
Or cut a slot in the exposed worn section and glue another piece there. Shape with a dremel or similar when dry.
Possibly just a blob of melted plasted and shaped on the outside.
Failing all that, a secondhand hand car breakers and get a few.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Here is an example of the plastic section we are talking about...
Left top. It is quite easy to shape a piece of plastic/nylon even with a file...

Sorry I cannot help you any further.
Hopefully somebody else on the forum will recognize your switch.
Martin.

maxresdefault.jpg

Erich

Jun 7, 2015
"That picture is a generic one I found"

The switch in that picture I can find no reference to. Sorry.
It appears to be 4mm thick and off the shelf are 6mm.
Can you confirm this?
Is your switch exactly the same as in the pic?

You can try and open the swith and replace the plastic/nylon cam contact section using a dremel or similar.
Or cut a slot in the exposed worn section and glue another piece there. Shape with a dremel or similar when dry.
Possibly just a blob of melted plasted and shaped on the outside.
Failing all that, a secondhand hand car breakers and get a few.
Here I took a picture from the side, it appears to be about 1cm thick, let me know if I need to take any other pics. If I can't source a replacement I will definitely try what you suggested.

This is one of the most helpful forums I've ever been on, thanks for all the help thus far.

Attachments

• 20150607_120041.jpg
    20150607_120041.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 119

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Firstly. Does your switch have any markings, numbers etc on it?.
It is clearly different to the ' generic ' pic you originally posted, (clarkes garage). If this is the case then a replacement may be found.
Please try to be more specific with the actual item in question rather than ' Generic ' unless they are identical of course.
Thanks for your kind comments. This is a great forum.
Martin.

Erich

Jun 7, 2015
Firstly. Does your switch have any markings, numbers etc on it?.
It is clearly different to the ' generic ' pic you originally posted, (clarkes garage). If this is the case then a replacement may be found.
Please try to be more specific with the actual item in question rather than ' Generic ' unless they are identical of course.
Thanks for your kind comments. This is a great forum.
Martin.
Sorry for any confusion, to me they look identical but I'm not very educated on the topic. I've attached a pic of my switch.

Attachments

• 20150607_130430.jpg
    20150607_130430.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 92

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Thanks for clearing that up.
Yes it is the same switch.. Swiss made too.
So unless other forum members know that switch, you might have to resort to chopping and hacking as suggested earlier.
Give it 24 hours or so though.

All the best Martin.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Since the switch still works when you manually actuate it, I would work on adding a little extra thickness to the cam-actuated part of it. Maybe a strip of plastic over the switch actuator somehow secured on one end to the switch body... plastic tie-wrap, maybe, or attach with some really strong glue if you can find any that will bond to the switch body AND the plastic strip. You could also try using a springy metal strip, like a short section of mainspring from a discarded mechanical timer... whatever will allow the switch to be actuated by the cam again.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Since the switch still works when you manually actuate it, I would work on adding a little extra thickness to the cam-actuated part of it
Hi Hop, I tried to explain that in post 5 but clearly failed. Did you read it?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Hi Hop, I tried to explain that in post 5 but clearly failed. Did you read it?
I read it (and post #6 too with the nice photo), but the OP made no response to your reasonable suggestions, so I thought I would put my two cents in, for what that is worth.

I like the idea of going to a wrecker-yard and finding a used replacement, either the switch or the whole motorized assembly. We are blessed with quite of few of those salvage yards here in Dayton OH, and some of them allow you go out and find and remove whatever you want. Others will take your request for a part and, if they have it or know where to get it, will call you when it is available.