Maker Pro
Maker Pro

NEED HELP old RC speed controller only works one direction

brandon hoppe

Apr 2, 2022
I have a first gen traxxas ruster and i am trying to get back into using it since the reverse broke 2 years ago and i stopped messing with it. I have isolated the problem down to the speed controller which when connected, only throttles the car forward. reverse does not work. i cant just buy a new one because everything on the car is 30 years old, and i would end up having to replace all of the electronics which would cost me like 200 dollars. (the cost of a basically entire new car) I am relatively new to the whole circuit stuff as i am just now learning to solder my own circuits so any info would be very helpful. Thx. the spesific speed controller model is the "XL1"

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
i cant just buy a new one because everything on the car is 30 years old, and i would end up having to replace all of the electronics which would cost me like 200 dollars.

Rubbish...there are plenty of brush type speed controllers out there for around the $20.00 mark with forward and reverse capability, even brake option.
You will need to know what size (current)
Those old cars usually ran a 540 size motor around 90w from a 7.2v nicad supply.
I converted one here to run on 2 x 18650 cells.

brandon hoppe

Apr 2, 2022
My motor is 550. Im worried about the connections for my reciver being wrong. Ive never done any mods like this before. Is there any spesific info that i need if im going to buy a new controller?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Is there any spesific info that i need if im going to buy a new controller?

As I said above, (or did you not read my reply...??) you need to know the current draw of the motor.

If it's a competition motor it may well be up around the 30A mark but if a standard hobby back yard type then maybe less at around 15A.
It depends on the winding turns your motor has.
Wouldn't be all that much difference in price for the larger capacity esc.
If you have the make, model of your car, you should be able to find the details on Google.
Most tend to ask someone at their local model car club or join a forum on model cars and ask for info there.

It should be a standard servo connector plug on the esc which plugs into your receiver and you may have to do some setup programming usually by entering program mode and listening for particular beeps etc.
This would be all outlined in the new esc manual.
Just watch polarity of the r/c receiver and the servo lead to your new esc, some (Sanwa etc.) are reversed from standard.

brandon hoppe

Apr 2, 2022
I had read your reply. Im just new to alot of the technical terms and wanted to know if there was anything that i would really need to know so i dont mess everything up. Thx so much for your help!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
esc.jpg esc.jpg
Is there any spesific info that i need if im going to buy a new controller?

You will need to know what size (current)

Seems plain English to me.

Here is a typical off the shelf unit that should do the job.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/153958888763

You have an on off switch, a battery input, an rc signal input and a red and black wire to your brushed 550 motor.
Doesn't come much simpler than that.
Just check your radio polarity as I explained earlier.

Last edited: