Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help on design PCB.

Chengjun Li

Oct 21, 2014
Hi,
I have a board in my hand like shown below.
upload_2015-1-9_16-3-4.png
First, I want to know is this board a pcb? Because this board has some different feature comparing with common pcb like shown below.
images

I want to make a board which has the same function as the one shown above.The board need to have an array of holes used to hold a ZIF socket,where a PGA chip can be inserted into like shown below. upload_2015-1-9_16-11-41.png
I use two softwares to design a PCB, on is eagle cad and the other is altium dxp, neither of them has the ZIF socket in their libraries, so I think I have to design the footprint of the socket by myself. My problem is I don't know how to do this, could anyone give me any clue?Thanks. (By the way, there are two kinds of holes in the hole array shown in the first image. One is close and isolated from the ground and the other is not.I don't know how to draw them using software)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
First, I want to know is this board a pcb? Because this board has some different feature comparing with common pcb like shown below

hi there
Yes of course it is :) not sure why you would think it isn't ?

I want to make a board which has the same function as the one shown above

The silver or the green one ?

I use two softwares to design a PCB, on is eagle cad and the other is altium dxp, neither of them has the ZIF socket in their libraries, so I think I have to design the footprint of the socket by myself.

have you done a www search for library updates for a ZIF socket ?

surely they must exist

Dave

garublador

Oct 14, 2014
(By the way, there are two kinds of holes in the hole array shown in the first image. One is close and isolated from the ground and the other is not.I don't know how to draw them using software)
The way PCB design is normally done is you either start with a schematic, which is a logical representation of how each pin on each component will be connected, or with a parts list and net list that gives the same information. Any pin that's listed as being connected to ground in the schematic or net list will connect to ground and the rest will be isolated. If you go back to the schematic and connect more pins to ground or disconnect some pins from ground and then push those changes to your PCB then different pins will be connected and isolated. It isn't part of the footprint itself, it's part of the routing on the PCB.