Maker Pro
Maker Pro

NEED HELP! Push button toggle circuit

LTD566

Aug 30, 2011
Hello!

I am new to the forum and I have been trying to put together a circuit for the past couple days with no luck and have just about gone crazy...

I need to be able to control 3 individual LEDs with one push button.

For example, I push the button once, LED 1 comes on. I push the button again LED 1 goes off and LED 2 goes on. I push the button again, LED 2 goes off and LED 3 goes on. I push the button again, LED 3 goes off. I push the button again and the cycle starts back at LED 1...

I am not 100% electronic literate, although I have taken basic electronic courses, so for the most part I can understand and intemperate circuit diagrams.

I wish to keep the circuit as basic as possible, with most of the components being available at radio shack, or online.

PLEASE, ANY help would be appreciated! Even if someone knows of a similar circuit that I could start off with looking at would be great.

Thanks!

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi LTD566
You need to post an accurate schematic or diagram, all the clues you gave where led's a switch, used three times and and it a push switch, we need more info, don't panic some circuits drive me crazy to, if you stick with electronics its all part of the learning curve, circuit finished, apply power, circuits does not work, burns up, explodes etc, pull your hair out in anger, many hour for no gain, i am ok not much hair see.

But when your composed and its going well the powers applied and it works, and i like them days best.
Some use these bread boards, i dont, well ok i lied only to make sandwiches on.
I opt for copper strip or euro cards, a better quality strip board, ive done 4 hours straight before, applied the power, bang, like i say not much hair, on those days not many people talk to me, any way dont despair failure happens to all of us, i just see the circuit and can put it down on copper strip board, i would like to do my own pcb production, but space is a problem. See if you can post a diagram / schematic of your circuit. Dave. :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Have a look at the 4017 chip.

You need to connect the LEDs to the outputs 2, 3, and 4. Connect the 5th output to reset. Do not connect the first output to anything (that will be all LEDS off)

You will need to debounce the switch and use it to clock the 4017.

Remember to add appropriate resistors for the LEDs.

LTD566

Aug 30, 2011
Have a look at the 4017 chip.

You need to connect the LEDs to the outputs 2, 3, and 4. Connect the 5th output to reset. Do not connect the first output to anything (that will be all LEDS off)

You will need to debounce the switch and use it to clock the 4017.

Remember to add appropriate resistors for the LEDs.

Someone on another forum posted this link http://members.shaw.ca/roma/switching-2.html

it looks like guitar guys use this kind of circuit.

the 4017 sequencer circuit looks to be the ticket!

4017 Sequencer.png

Should this circuit work?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, that looks like just the thing.

The errata suggests the capacitor and resistor should be moved to the base of the transistor. If you do this, I would add a 10k resistor from the clock input (pin 14) to ground.