Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help reading ABS wheel speed sensor

brandonppr

Aug 17, 2015
I'm trying to count the pulses of my ABS wheel speed sensor.
I am new to electronics so please bear with me.
From what I understand the way it works is that it has 2 resistors and when the reluctor lug passes the magnet lets current flow through the second resistor which changes resistance and that is how each pulse is measured.
What I am looking for is a high and low for my arduino to read so 5v 0v.
How do I need to go about doing this on the hardware side?
i attached a diagram.

Attachments

• WSS.gif
    WSS.gif
    73.1 KB · Views: 334

martin the warrior

Aug 10, 2015
the WSS only gives out a 0.5v to 4.5v. the reason is so OBDII can do diagnostics. IF the reading coming back is less than 0.5v there is resistance, if it is zero there is an open and if higher than 4.5v there is a short ot power on the power side ( a short to power on the gound side would result in a blown fuse "open") also you nee to be very careful when mesing with sensor wires and components since WSS is part of ABS if it thinks a wheel is going to fast it doesnt know there is a problem with the wire since it is in range of operating condition. not recommended to mess with it. also that is how that sensor works.

Last edited:

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP!
Messing with the ABS is dangerous (particularly so given your inexperience) and is likely to invalidate your insurance. Why do you want to it anyway?

martin the warrior

Aug 10, 2015
this is very true your insurance can throw you right out the door. im an automotive tech and ive seen it happen.

brandonppr

Aug 17, 2015
This is a race only car that doesn't have abs anymore, but still has the sensor. The abs actually had to be removed because it wouldn't let the car stop because of the variation in tire size of the slicks it would think it was spinning and cause me to lose my brakes at times at the top end of the track.
I want to count the number of pulses at increments of time in the quarter mile and make a graph with the information