Maker Pro
Maker Pro

need help regarding tilt alarm

cybertooth

Jun 17, 2016
Hi . I am newbie with basic knowledge of electronics. I need advice regarding a project.
I want to build a small narrow device which can be attached to a 16mm rod moving to and fro in horizontal direction relative to a table.The device should indicate if there is any change of more than 2 degrees in the tilt of the rod relative to the table . It would be great if the angle is adustable I.e the angle between the table and the rod. What I am looking for is that an alarm goes off when the angle changes for more than 2degrees of the set parameter. I am looking for a small sensor on the rod which can be attached to the circuitry by a 1 or 2m wire.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
So, how critical is your application?
They've got cheap devices that will do this, and they have expensive ones for precision work.

cybertooth

Jun 17, 2016
The application is not very critical but it would be good to have something which can detect a 2 degree change in angle. Please suggest some such devices.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I don't know who you would buy from.
What I would do in your situation is Google 'tilt switch' and start looking.
You'll find tilt switch manufacturers, Ebay, Amazon, lots of hits.
Narrow your search parameters to zero-in on the physical requirement and price range you want.
THEN identify the part number of the one that best suites your application and search for that type to buy.
My suggesting any one, would not be as effective as you looking at the types available through Google, on-line,
and making the selection you best believe fits your needs.
Good luck.

cybertooth

Jun 17, 2016
thanks . but i have checked out tilt switches, they do not meet my requirements. I am looking for something where the initial angle can be set and an alarm goes off if there is any deviation from that angle .

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Check out G sensors. You can get three axis devices that are accurate to a part of a degree.

All you need do is connect one to a microcontroller and after you have "set" the initial position it can be programmed to generate an alarm if there is a deviation beyond a certain point.

How good are you at programming?

cybertooth

Jun 17, 2016
Sounds promising, actually I am not into programing but can get help .
This is what I am looking for :-
I have a air driven drill which I use for carving patterns on different surfaces, the thickness and slant of the surface varies with different materials and areas, what I need to do is keep the drill always perpendicular to the surface , this becomes a bit tricky when there are multiple carvings or the surface has variable thickness in different areas. Hence I am trying to make a device with a sensor on the drill which can alert me of change in angulation of the drill. I am attaching a diagram of the set up.

Attachments

• 1466256438850-884311654.jpg
    1466256438850-884311654.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 92

cybertooth

Jun 17, 2016
Yes spirit level is the simplest solution for these situations but there is another situation in which it doesn't work, sorry the other picture didn't get uploaded last time . Here is the situation which is my main concern. Another thing to be noted is that the drill is not stationary , it has to move around according to the pattern at a constant depth.
Please have a look at the image below and give your suggestions.

Attachments

• P_20160618_213032.jpg
    P_20160618_213032.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 84

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Looks like a 3-axis accelerometer sensor with LED readouts for ±error indication, processed from roll, pitch, and yaw accelerometer outputs, would work. Point the drill in the right direction, press a button to store initial accelerometer values. If deviation on two axes perpendicular to the drill exceeds two degrees (or whatever you program or set) the appropriate LED lights up... or maybe all the LEDs light up initially after reset button is pushed and then one or more go out if the drill tilts outside pre-determined limits. I think that latter might be a better HMI (Human-Machine Interface) while carving panels. But you could program it to work either way, allowing the user to make the selection. Could possibly integrate everything on one circuit board that mounts to the top of the hand-held drill with a long cord taped to the air supply hose and extending to a wall-wart power supply.

Neat project! Lots of floating-point arithmetic and solid trigonometry required to resolve drill-bit tilt from any starting orientation while ignoring rotation about the drill axis, which is why you need FP trig operations. Really good description of what you are trying to DO! Thank you for that.

Can you handle the details, or do you need more help? :D