Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need HELP, simple timer project

cruz1aviator

Jan 15, 2012
Hi guys. I'm not an expert but want to figure this out. I've been to kit sites like electronickits.com etc., to find suitable modules. But can't find exactly what I need.

This application is for a photobooth.

I want to push a button (say a red arcade-style button), have a large 1 or 2 inch 7-segment LED display to countdown - 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1... then emit a pulse signal out to say... a standard 2.5mm phone jack.

That jack is connected to a camera, so the shutter is released. the signal has to be temporary so it the camera clicks just once. The thing has to reset itself after every cycle so the next user can take a picture.

I can solder, that's all I can do. I could use a module that can be programmed with dip switches and solder the LED display if it's separate but I can't do advanced electronics work.

I'm looking at these products:
http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/elec/ck1614.htm

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Since no one else is answering, I will give you the bad news. I don't think you are going to find any way to do this without some serious electronics experience. If you have a couple of months, and want to learn a lot, go for it. Else find a friend who has this knowledge or hire someone (which would not be cheap).

I could put this together with a microcontroller in couple of hours and a little luck, but that is only because I have a lot of experience with them. The problem is that I could not simply tell you how to wire one, becuase it also involves programming, which requires tools and knowledge. Doing it with logic chips is also possible and someone here could probably tell you what you would need and how to wire it, but if you have no experience building things like this, it would still be a stretch to get it to work.

Bob