Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help specifying certain motor

blobbydub

Jan 19, 2023
Hi there.

I've set myself (with friends) out to create a machine similar to the vetruvian gym home fitness machine, just for fun. But one thing i do not know much about is motors.

There aren't much, if any, information about the specs on the inside of this machine, but in short it simulates lifting weights from 0-200lbs.

We've got a setup that sort of works, but the motor we are using is a junk motor that was collecting dust in the workshop, and was only used for the prototype.

Anyone that can help me in the direction of a type of motor that will do the trick?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• motors_ref.JPG
    motors_ref.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 4

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If this is a non-positioning application but variable speed is reqd, , ex-treadmill DC motors may work, they are 2hp -3.5hp.
There are the MC2100 controllers also, one source is T.M.s that often come up locally, Free for Pickup (not working).

MichealSmith

Apr 7, 2023
Certainly! Based on the information you provided, it sounds like you're looking for a motor that can simulate lifting weights ranging from 0-200 lbs for your home fitness machine. Here are a few options to consider:

1. DC Motor: A DC motor, specifically a brushed DC motor or a brushless DC motor, could be a suitable option for your application. DC motors are known for their high torque capabilities and can provide smooth and precise control over rotational motion. You can choose a DC motor with appropriate power rating and torque specifications to meet the requirements of your fitness machine.
  2. Servo Motor: A servo motor is a type of DC motor that is designed for precise control of angular position. Servo motors are commonly used in robotics and other applications where accurate and controlled motion is required. They can provide high torque and can be controlled with precision, making them potentially suitable for your fitness machine.
  3. Stepper Motor: A stepper motor is another type of motor that could be considered for your application. Stepper motors provide precise control over rotational motion and are commonly used in applications where accurate position control is required. They can provide high torque and can be controlled in a variety of ways, such as using a stepper motor driver.
When selecting a motor for your fitness machine, it's important to consider factors such as power rating, torque specifications, control requirements, and the mechanical setup of your machine. It's also a good idea to consult with experts or engineers who have experience with motors to ensure you select the right motor for your specific needs. Good luck with your project!