Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need Help Surge Protector

snowfighter

Oct 25, 2011
I have 2 surge protectors one set up for computor and one for TV that I have hooked up for DishTV with phone line in surge protector . Two times it has happen now that when I have a power outage/then power back on the phone line hookup in the surge protector for the TV/Dish with quit working while everything else on the protector strip electric plugs and cable signal will work find. The phone line on the protector for the computor will not be affected . I can bypass the surge protector on the TV and hook direct to the phone jack and it works. Anyone have any idea whats happening. I know if I would buy a new protector it would work again the last one is only 1 month old.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Tell us more about how the surge protector stopped working and how you fix or reset it.

The most common types of surge protectors don't stop power getting to the appliance, and when they fail, they do so in a manner which leaves the appliance working but unprotected.

Your surge protector may me doing something else (i.e. it's more than a simple surge protector)

snowfighter

Oct 25, 2011
This the second protector replaced the first one which I had for a few years. The first one the phone line part of the protector went with a lightening strike but the rest of the protector worked. I bought a new one for my electronics,tv,dish reciever,dvr,phone.We had a power outage and when the power came back on just the phone part of the new one was knocked out again,which seems strange because with a power outage phone systems have there own power scorce. Talking with a satilite installer his thoughts were the earlier lightening strike did something to the dishtv reciever where the phone line hookup from the dish reciever to the phone part of the surge protector is back feeding a surge when power returns and taking out the phone part of the surge protector. Other words the lightening damaged the dish reciever.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
The surge protector did its job; dying to protect the equipment. That is what they are supposed to do instead of ending with an electronic equipment cemetery. You should be happy with the event.
If it was 1 month old does not matter. It is meant to die at any time, lucky you.
Replace the surge protector. Just think of the cost of damages without the protection.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
The newer surge protectors that I have in my house all have a small light that is lit when the circuit is protected, is there any such notification on your surge protector that might suggest that it is not protecting the circuit and has done it's job once before and needs replacing?

I guess it is possible that the phone jack could just stop working because of poor craftsmanship. Either way it looks like you need to buy a new one.

snowfighter

Oct 25, 2011
I can see the surge protector going out with the lightening strike but this last time we lost power with and outage some where on the line down the road(tree on line) so it seems strange when the power was returned it knock out the phone part of the surge protector and the electric plugs and cable line work fine.Living in a rural area where power is out at different times I would have to buy surge protectors by the case if it happen everytime like the last. Another note we have a surge protector on the computor/phone line didn't affect it at all.

snowfighter

Oct 25, 2011
The newer surge protectors that I have in my house all have a small light that is lit when the circuit is protected, is there any such notification on your surge protector that might suggest that it is not protecting the circuit and has done it's job once before and needs replacing?

I guess it is possible that the phone jack could just stop working because of poor craftsmanship. Either way it looks like you need to buy a new one.

The surge protector has a green light ( proper ground) red light ( protecting) and both are on.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Do you have a model name or a link to the product so we can see what it's like?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
There was precious little to be learned from the site (as seems to be common these days). Any chance of you opening up the device and post som pic's of the inside?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I guess you had ask for the information above and I thought that site should of gave you that.

Yes, I had hoped the ones selling/making the gear would be providing full information about what they're selling, but such is modern life, no-one takes "pride" in anything.
There is some text that says something, but it's like if an ad to sell a house would say "four-room flat for sale in a nice neighbourhood". It's not very descriptive.
It's not your "fault" but I can't extract information out of nothing. Even the picture they provide is so small it's impossible to see anything potentially useful.
There are so many ways of making such surge protectors that I can't even make a guess at what's the issue with those. Lacking possession of one I need real information.