Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help to create safety device which will stop window blind going down if something is in the way

Mindaugas

Feb 15, 2016
Nice work mate finally moving forward were do you live ? if UK I will try organize stay in our 5 star hotel at shard can not guarantee but possible :) now I need to try this thing out to be honest don't understand witch parts to get :) but I will analyse it all next week I am of work

Mindaugas

Feb 15, 2016
don't understand meaning of q1 and c1 c2 c3 c4 is C stands for capacitor ? picaxe-08m will order now with LM78L05

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
I live in Minnesota, USA. Probably won't show up there soon. ;) Q1 is a MOSFET transistor. Yes, C is for capacitor. I get that you have little electronics experience. The PICAXE requires programs to be developed and installed. Maybe you can find an electronics hobbyist in you area to build you a prototype.

Ken

Mindaugas

Feb 15, 2016
Ok, I still think it must by easy way to do it mate. Motor has 4 cables for control and 2 for power. Control common is ground and up down and stop is 24v dc pulse signal. If we use pulse relay to switch normal power supply for motor on and off. When connect motor constantly with power supply in series with current limiting diode or other component on witch I need help from you :)

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Now you've add another cable with control signals to the equation...and constant power to the blind. Is there anything else in the "actual" system of these blinds?

Will cutting power to the blind reset the blind to STOP? That would simplify my circuit in that I don't need to compensate for reversing UP and DOWN power polarity. If so, I'll revise my circuit for that.

"When connect motor constantly with power supply in series with current limiting diode or other component on witch I need help from you"
Now that's just pulling words out of thin air. Are you fixed on a one component solution? I doubt that's going to happen. Also, I will bet that current levels will vary from blind to blind, and as they age. That's why I add the ability the adjust the trip levels.

Ken

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
In trying to deal with things I don't know, you implied the there the limits on the blind deployment was time. Are you sure of that?

Ken

Mindaugas

Feb 15, 2016
its constant 24v dc power and 4 core cable for control witch is, Common, up, down, and stop. I was trying to test voltage on control cable, but its volt free. I think its negative from power supply connected to common . Well to be able to adjust current its much better but I was thinking that it must Be one perfect current trip level for all blinds because all of them when going down are affected by weight of bottom bar and material. and its easy for me just to add weight to blind to reduce current if blind is very light. Its getting to complicated in beginning it looked simple. I see why is no 24v dc motor with protection like that one the market :) but I need to try.

Mindaugas

Feb 15, 2016
yes because if power is down for blind you can change limit by forcing motor down and limit will change

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
"yes because if power is down for blind you can change limit by forcing motor down and limit will change"

I don't understand this.

Ken

Mindaugas

Feb 15, 2016
Well I know just 2 ways for motor to have positions. One is o-10 volt control, another is by time. Rise lower and for 0-10 volt controlled motor you can manually spin motor with power disconnected and it will have same limits, but for time controlled motor if you do this limits will change

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
So there are ones installed with different controls...0-10V and UP/Stop/Down?

Ken

Mindaugas

Feb 15, 2016
No, it's works on time mate. Sorry for not making my self clear. English is not my first language :) and thaks a lot for helping me :)

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
OK back to my question: if you cut power to the blind as it's moving down and then reconnect the power, does it revert to Stop?

Ken

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Here is my latest iteration. Once the currents drops to within a selected range (less that DOWN and more than STOP), the relay opens and kills power to the blind. The relay then closes and waits for outside intervention to lift the blind. Noticed I didn't put in any component values. This would have to be prototyped with actual blinds.

BlindsStop-3.gif

Ken

Mindaugas

Feb 15, 2016
Looking good just need to get it done :) I am abit scared of programming chip but I done some c++ it must be close to it :)

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
The PICAXE microcontrollers are programmed in BASIC. To familiarize yourself with the chip and programming software (free) go to http://www.picaxe.com/
"...just need to get it done" Is there a time crunch? Have you promised someone this control with "That should be simple!" ;)

Ken

Mindaugas

Feb 15, 2016
No mate, but I love solving problems. For this one I spend a lot of time and is cool project :) if it's works will save a lot of problems for us :)

Mindaugas

Feb 15, 2016
Ken This micro controllers is very cool :) I was just thinking, can this micro controler give 0 v to blind stop cable on control side instead of using relay and q transistor ? :)

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
If the ground on the Up/Stop/Down cable is also connected to the negative of the motor supply, then yes. If not, and opto-coupler could be used. I was trying to stay away from getting into both cables.

Ken