Maker Pro
Maker Pro

need help to hook up led indicator light

loaded

Oct 17, 2020
I have installed a 120VAC blower to transfer heat from my wood stove to upstairs. I also need to install a thermostat to cut off the blower below a certain temperature and turn on a 24vac indicator light upstairs to tell me that I need to punch the fire. I'm looking at a Crydom solid state relay (item # 254599499932). Can I place this SPSTNO relay before (upstream of) the thermostat? Is there a better way to do this? Thanks for help.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Crydom solid state relay (item # 254599499932)
What's that item number? Doesn't seem to be a standard Crydom part number.

Can I place this SPSTNO relay before (upstream of) the thermostat?
What do you mean by that? Would the SSR be activated by the thermostat? If so, where does the power come from? Can you at least give a sketch of what you are planning to do?

loaded

Oct 17, 2020
What's that item number? Doesn't seem to be a standard Crydom part number.

What do you mean by that? Would the SSR be activated by the thermostat? If so, where does the power come from? Can you at least give a sketch of what you are planning to do?

Harold, thanks for your response. The Crydom part is: Crydom CL240A05 90-250VAC Control Voltage Solid State Relay 24-280VAC Output 5A. I'm sorry but I don't have a sketch. I plan to come off line voltage to a variable speed on/off switch in my living room. From there the current would go to another kill switch in the basement @ my stove. Then to the relay and on to the thermostat and motor. I assume that when the thermostat kills the current to the motor that the current, being upstream of it, would activate the relay and supply power to the led light, which is also in my living room.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I'm sorry but I don't have a sketch.

There will be little to no help unless you can show a circuit drawing.
Otherwise people can only give it their best guess and this discussion could go on for yonks without any resolution.

loaded

Oct 17, 2020
There will be little to no help unless you can show a circuit drawing.
Otherwise people can only give it their best guess and this discussion could go on for yonks without any resolution.

thanks for the advice. I have called 3 electricians but no one will return my call. Business is good!

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I assume that when the thermostat kills the current to the motor that the current, being upstream of it, would activate the relay and supply power to the led light,
That will not work. The relay will have to be connected in parallel to the mains and will not register whether current is flowing to the motor or not. You will have to place the relay in parallel to the motor, this way the relay will be on when the motor is on and the relay will be off when the relay is off. And you need an additional signal wire to the indicator lamp. But, there's one catch: The relay being on when the motor is on means, the signal lamp wil be on, too. That is the inverse behavior of what you intend (lamp on if motor off).

The "best" solution would be a thermostat with an additional signaling output which you could use to drive the signal lamp.

loaded

Oct 17, 2020
That will not work. The relay will have to be connected in parallel to the mains and will not register whether current is flowing to the motor or not. You will have to place the relay in parallel to the motor, this way the relay will be on when the motor is on and the relay will be off when the relay is off. And you need an additional signal wire to the indicator lamp. But, there's one catch: The relay being on when the motor is on means, the signal lamp wil be on, too. That is the inverse behavior of what you intend (lamp on if motor off).

The "best" solution would be a thermostat with an additional signaling output which you could use to drive the signal lamp.

Harald, thank you for convincing me that this stuff is way over my head. I'll try to find an electrician.