Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help using phonograph as guitar amplifier

kralc

Aug 22, 2015
I have a early 1970's Panasonic combination record player/radio/cassette player unit. I disassembled it and discovered that the record player pickup connected to the rest of the unit with an rca connector. With the help of a guitar plug- to- rca adaptor, I found that as is, the old record player functions as an electric guitar amp quite well. However, in order to achieve an acceptable volume, I need to turn both the guitar and the record player to full volume. Can I boost the input via a simple preamp to solve this problem? I have seen preamps designed to increase phonograph output to line level (eg Pyle Pro pp444), would this work?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP!
to achieve an acceptable volume
Provided that's not greater than the volume the player already manages then a preamp would help: otherwise you'll need a new power amp.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
If you are using the phono input, the frequency response will be terrible. The phono input has RIAA equalization applied to the signal, basically turning the high frequencies down by up to 40 dB compared to the lowest frequencies. With a schematic and a photo we probably can figure out which capacitors set the RIAA curve and clip them out for a flat response curve, giving you more volume. Can you take photos of the board?

ak

kralc

Aug 22, 2015
Thanks,

I have connected my guitar to my Zoom H4n recorder which has a line level output. This output is then connected to the RCA connectors of the Panasonic's phono circuit. The sound quality is fine, and the volume is significantly improved. However, I would like to have a preamp (or whatever device is best) inside the cabinet of the Panasonic rather than using my H4n. There is room as I have removed the turntable hardware an most of the cassette deck. Plus, I think there is still room for improvement on the volume question, I am wondering if I can find a device that will boost the guitar signal beyond line level. What technical measurements should I look at to achieve this?