Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help wiring lights

Chocolate Sheikh

Aug 28, 2013
Need help with custom LED light fixture

Hello, I am building a light fixture with 9 LED bulbs that plug in to standard fluorescent T5 fixtures. (Details/spec sheet: http://tinyurl.com/kgrbyyc)

The lights will be controlled via a timer with internal on/off switch, and get power from mains.

What timer switch would be best for this application? right now I am thinking of using a programmable digital timer from ebay (spec sheet: http://tinyurl.com/nt46tvu)

Input voltage for the lights is 100-240V. Is a travel-type transformer plug OK to use?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 147
  • programmable-timer-switch.jpg
    programmable-timer-switch.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 188
  • $T2eC16JHJHEFFlkyGkE(BRwZQ))ilg~~60_3.JPG
    $T2eC16JHJHEFFlkyGkE(BRwZQ))ilg~~60_3.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Chocolate Sheikh

Aug 28, 2013
rough schematic plus diagram of the timer switch (.dsn is in the .zip). let me know what you think

Attachments

• gro-lite.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 57
  • gro-lite.jpg
    gro-lite.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 131
  • dc-24v-digital-lcd-power-programmable-timer.jpg
    dc-24v-digital-lcd-power-programmable-timer.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Your schematic doesn't show the LEDs connected properly. The top and bottom ones are shorted out. Also, those LED sticks don't contain three LEDs in parallel like that; they contain many LEDs, probably in series, with some drive circuitry as well. I would just draw them as rectangles, marked with their part number. They all need to be connected in parallel.

I don't know why you have a 110V-to-220V transformer, if the LED strips are designed to run from 110V. The timer switch contacts are rated for 240V but that's just the maximum voltage; it doesn't mean that you need to use 240V with them.

Finally, it's not clear what power source the timer switch needs. The back panel says "POWER 12V" and the specifications list on eBay mentions 12V DC, but the power supply terminals are just marked with a squiggle, which represents AC. The second diagram in post #2 shows that the timer can be powered from AC mains, and the timer is identified as "101" which is similar to "Cn101A" on the eBay page, but this is still not clear.

If you can resolve those issues, I don't see any problem with what you're doing.

Chocolate Sheikh

Aug 28, 2013
Your schematic doesn't show the LEDs connected properly. The top and bottom ones are shorted out. Also, those LED sticks don't contain three LEDs in parallel like that; they contain many LEDs, probably in series, with some drive circuitry as well. I would just draw them as rectangles, marked with their part number. They all need to be connected in parallel.

I don't know why you have a 110V-to-220V transformer, if the LED strips are designed to run from 110V. The timer switch contacts are rated for 240V but that's just the maximum voltage; it doesn't mean that you need to use 240V with them.

Finally, it's not clear what power source the timer switch needs. The back panel says "POWER 12V" and the specifications list on eBay mentions 12V DC, but the power supply terminals are just marked with a squiggle, which represents AC. The second diagram in post #2 shows that the timer can be powered from AC mains, and the timer is identified as "101" which is similar to "Cn101A" on the eBay page, but this is still not clear.

If you can resolve those issues, I don't see any problem with what you're doing.

On the led tube website it says input voltage:100-240 V, I assumed that meant they were set up for European mains power. Do you think that is a range of OK voltages?

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
Yes. That's the meaning of that specification. Any voltage in that range is acceptable.

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
Happy growing :)

(I hope you live in Colorado or Washington State!)