Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help with a grounding wire issue on PC audio device.

Noreaster

Aug 11, 2016
How_Can_I_Fix_This.jpg

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
SIr Noreaster . . . . .

Bottom left picture (above My Questions) shows a bare wire that should go inside the plastic shrouded cable and is spiraled around an internal wrapped aluminum foil . . .(to acquire connectivity) . . .shroud that performs the shielding of all of the internal cables.
The foil provides the shielding..
Standard procedure is to make a ground connection only at one end, so that a ground loop can be avoided by not having two same ground connections spaced apart. It does its job with the use of only ONE connection.

If curious about the separate black individual wire . . .use an ohmmeter and test between it and all other wires for a short (an interconnection being present).

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

Noreaster

Aug 11, 2016
Thank you 73's. Yes this cable does have the foil, you mention. in the picture, you are referring to the actual cable shroud or sheathing is obscured by my fingers.

So, I'm guessing then, that I should use the bare wires, then as a ground and prepare it by first twisting the ends, then take a short length of coated wire and solder it to the bare wire and insulate it under the heat shrink tube. Now, I would have my seven pins and seven wires to proceed.

Does that sound right?

the great potato

Dec 2, 2016
couldent you put the uncovered wire to the frame of the computer ? the system should be grounded already,or around one of the motherboard screws. ill be honest to that ive owned 2 gigibyte mobos and got rid of them both.they just always had strange results. I went purely to ASUS mobos and had much better results. and i might add I only buy ASUS mobos now.