Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help with a homemade speaker system please

donald melton

May 15, 2018
hey guys ,

i'm trying to hook up a homemade speaker system to my computer for a better sound . i can't afford a real surrond sound system
so i'm doing the next best thing . or at least trying to . here's what i want to do :

i have my computer speakers already hooked up to my computer which has the jack plug in type hookup .

i also have 6 speakers that i'm wanting to wire up ( i know how to wire those together ) 3 per side of my living room .

what i need to know is , what type of adpter and jacks ( and any thing else ) that i would need .

if you could give me the name and link to a ebay or amazon , that would be great .

any information that you could give me to help me would be awesome .

thanks to all in advance

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You won't get 'surround sound' without the appropriate driver card. The best you can manage with standard audio output is 'stereo' - and even then, you'll need some form of amplification to drive the speakers as the PC output won't have the power capability to drive them.

A 5.1 surround sound PCI card is around $10

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Channe...984833&hash=item41b870ce87:g:Le4AAOSwT~9Wi3UQ

but, again, you will need amplifiers to drive the speakers.

Might be worth checking out your local Freecycle or Craigslist for a working system.

donald melton

May 15, 2018
You won't get 'surround sound' without the appropriate driver card. The best you can manage with standard audio output is 'stereo' - and even then, you'll need some form of amplification to drive the speakers as the PC output won't have the power capability to drive them.

A 5.1 surround sound PCI card is around $10

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Channe...984833&hash=item41b870ce87:g:Le4AAOSwT~9Wi3UQ

but, again, you will need amplifiers to drive the speakers.

Might be worth checking out your local Freecycle or Craigslist for a working system.

honestly , i truly don't care if it has the "surround sound" to the system . all i do care for is that my speakers work lol

Hopup

Jul 5, 2015
Just buy cheap, used home theater amplifier having at least six channels so you can connect your computer audio output to it.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
answer - you MUST have an amplifier. The speakers won't be of any practical use without one. and Yes, it would be louder (than almost non-existent as would be the case without one).