Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help with a project.. Car radio!

DanteCBR

Apr 25, 2012
Im looking to make my own car radio, or more radio interface.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Would it be possible to use a normal aftermarket removable facia cd player but build the custom front like above to work with the radio. I will also want to build one for the heater controls.

I enjoy the looks of the centre console on the Bugatti Veyron but now want to build a replicated design for my audi a8

Is this something you guys could help with or is it beyond electronics?

Any help is appreciated

Dan

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Oh, some of us here will tackle just about anything if it has some electronics in it... Is that little red button for the nitrous oxide fuel injection or does it pop open a head-light for the chain gun?

I am thinking a 3D printer might be what you need to build a compatible-looking facia. Lots of folks here with deeper pockets than mine play around with those. And you can also use a contract printing service once you have a design in computer-readable format. Sort of like making printed circuit boards, only way more expensive... but, if you can afford a Bugatti Veyron and an Audi a8, cost should not be a problem.:D

Hop

DanteCBR

Apr 25, 2012
I dont own a veyron, i wished i did, and only a cheap A8 so i in no way have lots of £££££ haha.

Once i build the facia of it? How would i go about connecting it all up ? Making it all work?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Is this something you guys could help with or is it beyond electronics?
Imho electronics is the least part of your project.

You'll have to design the artwork and match it to the space available in your Audi's console. I imagine the carbon fibre looking plate can be cut from a piece of material with a suitable surface, not necessarily full carbon fiber but a replica. Cutouts can be made with the right tools (saw, router etc.).
The chrome decor (bezel) can be 3D-printed and painted or chrome plated.

The push buttons need to be movable within the bezel, so it needs to be printed separately. Use dark plastic so you won't have to paint them later.
You can either construct the button caps such that their back fits onto a standard pushbutton, then mount the pushbuttons such that the button caps fit into the bezel at the correct position. Imho this requires quite some precision - or jury rigging.
Or you construct the button covers such that for each bezel all button covers are part of one constructive element but mounted in an elastic manner (using snakelike plastic holders). Sorrry, I don't know the technical term, I'll try to visualize my thought:
upload_2016-1-5_8-52-43.png
You can the use e.g. SMD pushbuttons that are actuated by pressing one of the button covers. Placement of the SMD pushbuttons is not that critical with this arrangement as buttons and button covers are not mechanically coupled.

What remains is the construction of a suitable PCB to hold the pushbutton in the right positions and at the right distance to the front bezel. Plus you'll have to wire the pushbuttons to the corresponding contacts on the CD-player's PCB.

I'd love to see what you manage to build.

DanteCBR

Apr 25, 2012
How hard would altering the pcb be?
I can paint and build cars, comes to electronics and im at my limit fitting a car battery lol

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
How hard would altering the pcb be?
You don't alter the existing PCB. you solder wires to the respective contacts of the existing pushbuttons and wire the new buttons in parallel.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
... Once i build the facia of it? How would i go about connecting it all up ? Making it all work?
Well, you know it will take some shielded cables to connect it all up. Making it all work would require a lot more information. Like, what CD player you plan to use, what will it interface with (radio probably) and what your skills are working with automobile wiring, making continuity checks, voltage checks, etc. Plus, you mentioned heater controls too. That's all pretty ambitious but probably doable.

Provide us with a LOT more information about where you currently are with this project. From your previous posts it did not appear that you had much knowledge or experience with electronics. Have you been climbing the learning curve since then? We are hobbyists here, and not everyone has the same rate of progress because of limitation of time, money, and interest. So, if automobiles and electronics are your passion now and you are willing to put forth the effort, I am sure there are people here that can help you.

Have you worked with any 3D CAD software that can produce a 3D printer file you can use to create your custom fascia (or escutcheon)? You could also use such a file (after some translation) to control a CNC milling machine to manufacture a one-off item from aluminum, plastic, or other material. There are other options, but it is important to have a model first, either real (clay, for example) or virtual (computer model). A clay model is fairly easy to sculpt and it can be scanned with a point-cloud 3D scanner to produce a computer model for use with a 3D printer or CNC milling machine. Lots of ways to get your prototype made, some more expensive than others. You should do some research on the Internet to see what is available.

Hop