Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need Help With An Idea

Blake Martin

Jun 23, 2017
Hello, My name is Blake Martin and I had an idea for streamlining a process that I do at work quite often. basically what I am needing to do is identify different ports or cables on a patch panel to the corresponding jack. What I am wondering is how I can take a device and have it display a number on the other end of my cable that may stretch across a building. I am wanting from the station side for something to be able to plug into a data or phone port and display that number on a small screen. If any one can help I would be very greatful.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
They already make them.
I don't know the model number but I use a hand held fluke lan analizer that has eight dummy loads (labeled 1 through 8) that you plug into jacks you want to identify.
Then at the patch panel or wherever the other end of the run is, you plug in the analizer and it will show a number corresponding to the dummy plug.
Example, if it reads 6, then you know that dummy plug #6 is on the other end.

Of course, there's the toner function to quickly narrow down the cable your searching for.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
There are digital versions too.

I recall a DIY design from a number of years ago that gave a simple numeric display for any wire in a multi-core situation.