Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help with android app for Bluetooth device

LazyBoy

Jan 17, 2016
Hi,

I have bought a Mbientlab MetaWear C Bluetooth module and need help building an android or ios app to display 3 pieces of data from the module to a mobile device.

Anyone here have any knowledge of the above hardware?

Lightning

Oct 12, 2013
31ee5ed8850dc212e2e1d7101c004aac_original.png

I had a look on google and I am guessing you mean this, correct me if I am wrong.

Does the device not have software for it, like its own SDK to control data flow or do you just link it to the phone like a headset?

My experience is with windows phone but I would like to have a go at android some day. If you have not done so already download the android phone SDK and try to find the Bluetooth API libraries to see what functions android is capable of. Hopefully it will give you an idea of how to link to Bluetooth peripheral devices.

Also I think I remember reading that Bluetooth low energy requires later software support as appose to regular Bluetooth, possibly something to consider.

Hopefully this is helpful but it may not be, I am assuming a lot about the project and your programming ability :p

Good luck! :)

stari

Oct 24, 2015
Sorry for delayed answer. Yes , i work with BLE, so , if you like, i can make some resarches with your hardware.

LazyBoy

Jan 17, 2016
Sorry for delayed answer. Yes , i work with BLE, so , if you like, i can make some resarches with your hardware.

Hi Stari,

I need an app that reads the Mbientlab MetaWear C Bluetooth module then uses a mobile device to display the max spin speed (up to 3,300 RPM) + live spin speed + amount of full 360 degree turns + spin time using the modules gyro or accelorometer.

The main problem is that the module's gyro only reads a maximum of 2,000 degree per second so 333 RPM max....I need RPM up to 3,300....

Can you help?

Thank you.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
Spin speed? You going to mount the bluetooth module on the hard disk or something lol

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Spin speed? You going to mount the bluetooth module on the hard disk or something lol
Hey! This is a serious Forum. I bet he plans to mount it on the propeller shaft of the speed boat you can almost see in his avatar.:cool:

LazyBoy

Jan 17, 2016

No it is fitted inside a special 2 piece metal spinning top, please see attached photo.

Attachments

• BT Spin1.JPG
    BT Spin1.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 89

stari

Oct 24, 2015
Hi Stari,

I need an app that reads the Mbientlab MetaWear C Bluetooth module then uses a mobile device to display the max spin speed (up to 3,300 RPM) + live spin speed + amount of full 360 degree turns + spin time using the modules gyro or accelorometer.

The main problem is that the module's gyro only reads a maximum of 2,000 degree per second so 333 RPM max....I need RPM up to 3,300....

Can you help?

Thank you.
Sory, no expirience with this device.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Hi,

I have bought a Mbientlab MetaWear C Bluetooth module and need help building an android or ios app to display 3 pieces of data from the module to a mobile device.

Anyone here have any knowledge of the above hardware?
All I know about it is what I read on the Internet. Looks like it uses a Bosch BMI160 inertial navigation sensor providing linear acceleration as well as rotation rate (rate gyro) on three mutually perpendicular axes. That's way more than you need to instrument a spinning top, which only needs a one-axis rate-gyro function.

You may want to look at Analog Device's ADXR649, which is good for ±50000 degrees per second, and figure out how to interface this to a Bluetooth module. It appears that Mbientlab would be willing to integrate the ADXR649 into one of their Bluetooth products for a fee. It might even be affordable if you plan to sell a few hundred thousand "tops" in the next year or so. Otherwise, you can either try to hack what you already have to interface to the ADXR649, or start from scratch and integrate your own low-power μP with a Bluetooth interface and a ADXR649. I would first contact Mbientlab and ask them how much they would charge to integrate the ADXR649 on their existing product.

This does sound like a fun DIY project, but I am going to assume that you are looking for an off-the-shelf solution. Do you have any experience in sensor technology, low-power microprocessors, Bluetooth transceivers, and programming? If so, you just need to sit down and start designing. Personally, I don't think I can be of much help right now: I purchased factory assembled Bluetooth modules for Arduino last year but have not yet got down to the nitty-gritty of actually using them to communicate with anything. I am not going to jump right in and try to write a cell phone app either. Better to get Arduino-to-Arduino working reliably first.

Why do you want to instrument your "top" which, by the way, is a really nice piece of work? Does it spin up all by itself, i.e., is there a motor inside? Is it just a "top" to look at and play with, or does it do something really useful?

Last edited: