Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help with either a counter or monitor

JoeB

Oct 31, 2011
I want to be able to connect between my zone valves and zone controller for a plumbing application in my greenhouse. I have 5 zones now and I would like to be able to see when voltage is applied to the zone valve and opens and when it closes. It would be great if it could be monitored via a PC. The zone valves run on 24 volts AC.

I have never done this so I need help in finding the correct parts. Maybe links or parts that you have used before.

I thought of using a 24 volt coil relay and then have the output of the relay send something to the counter or monitor. NEED HELP!!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi Joe
welcome to the forums :)

how are these zones controlled ?
is there a central controller that then has the 24VAC cables out to each of the individual valves ?
what current rating is the 24VAC zone outputs ? 50mA, 100mA lots more ?
need to know how much power we have to drive other things.

What controls the controller? is it just a self contained unit with a time clock etc ?
PC monitoring is going to require software writing and hardware... There may be commercially available PC interface units and logging software already available.

cheers
Dave

JoeB

Oct 31, 2011
hi Joe
welcome to the forums :)

how are these zones controlled ?
is there a central controller that then has the 24VAC cables out to each of the individual valves ?
what current rating is the 24VAC zone outputs ? 50mA, 100mA lots more ?
need to know how much power we have to drive other things.

What controls the controller? is it just a self contained unit with a time clock etc ?
PC monitoring is going to require software writing and hardware... There may be commercially available PC interface units and logging software already available.

cheers
Dave

This is all TACO heating equipment. The zones are controlled by TACO sentry zone valves which are controlled by a TACO controller (ZVC406-EXP). The controller has 24VAC cables out to each zone valve. The controller is powered with 120VAC and has 2 24 volt transformers in it. It says it has 80VA Max output at 24VAC. It also says that all zone valve controls are relay type DPDT and have a single phase motor rating per zone of 1/6 hp (5A) @ 120VAC. On the Zone valve spec sheet it says that the electrical rating is 24VAC, 60 hz, 0.48 amps. It also says at charging equals 11.4 watts, 0.48 amps and power on 1.44 watts, 0.06 amps. The zone valves have a end switch rating of 1 amp @ 24 VAC.

I have 1 zone valve that has a standard thermostat for heating a Utility room using PEX in the floor. When it goes down to the set point it either opens or closes and is connected to a zone 1 thermostat block in the controller. The controller sends a signal to the zone valve and when it opens it turns on a circulator to send hot water. When it is satisfied the opposite happens. The other 4 zones have Johnson controls type controls that have a long wired probe in a tank well that are thermostats in fish tanks. The same thing happens with a set point and they are connected to the controller in zones 2-5. I do not think the controller has a time clock.

I hope this is enough info to help you find some ides for me. You can go to TACO's web site to see the spec sheets.