Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help with jigging reel design.. what kind of diode to wire to motor?

konalure

Feb 10, 2013
Hi, thanks in advance for reading this and taking time to try and help out a poor fisherman trying to create my jigging tuna reel.

I'm pretty much trying to create some way to control my motorized fishing reel into a auto jigging reel.. The reel is a Penn 130H heavy duty big game fishing reel and a friend of mine in my home town converts them into a electric motorized version with a kit he machines.. blah blah blah..

all I'm trying to do is to get an adjustable relay that will actuate a solid state relay and drive the motor with a adjustable timed on/off pattern that I can adjust.. a 3 way toggle will enable either an off/jigg/full on power to the motor thru the relays.. ( I think i can wire all that part )

I've already started gathering parts
I think will work:

http://www.newark.com/amperite/12da-ahdfa/solid-state-flasher-spdt-10sec/dp/28B472

this is the "flasher" relay I hope will work to power the solid state relay to feed the high amperage to the motor..

https://www.futurlec.com/Relays/SSRDC30V100Apr.shtml

this is the solid state relay I chose hoping it will handle the amps.. I went with a 100 amp one after hearing that the startup load of the motor can be 3 times the rated running load of the motor which is at 35 amps..

my main question is this..

what is a suitable diode to protect the solid state relay from "flyback" current from the motor.. I will pulsing the motor quite a bit and want to be sure itll work for awhile with no problems when I'm hundred of miles out at sea..

I've been researching quite a bit on how to wire up everything and feel I'm capable of making this fishing reel work for my purposes I just am no electronics expert and really would feel better with a little advice.. any links to a proper diode or recomendations on something that will handle quick on/off cycles and protect me are greatly appreciated..

thanks again for taking the time to read all this

konalure

pwdixon

Oct 14, 2012
Wow, you've managed to find about the most expensive way to do this but I guess that's because you don't know much about electronics. I would use a small microcontroller and a high current mosfet. If you are thinking of making one for personal use then I guess anything will do but if you intend to make more than one you should do some more research first.

konalure

Feb 10, 2013
I am by no means proficient in electronics design nor do I claim to be.. I come here asking for help, I wouold be willing to pay 50.00 payable by paypal for someone to provide me a parts list and brief summary of how to wire the components neccasary to achieve my goals of this project.. the motor needs to be able to pulse on/off with adjustments availlable for both on/off times between .1 seconds to 3 seconds.. the motor specs can be found here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6YDgBA&usg=AFQjCNHy3B9WZbxBnCBr25RXfCD4ynSgCw

if my other components are way off base for the best way to do this I understand and would gladly scrap my components for a better way to get this done.. I dont plan to market this unit although I can foresee making a dozen units for myself and other fisherman friends in the area I live in.. we all make our living at this after all..

If someone can step up to the plate and provide the exact components needed and some wiring details, please PM me or post here.. if payment is a worry I will promise payment if others verify that the design will work...

thanks in advance..

konalure