Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need Help With Motion Sensor Controlled Strobe LED.

Rory Starkweather

Nov 13, 2014
I have the LED and the motion sensor, but they didn't come with spec sheets and the Manufacturers websites didn't have anything either

The strobe is a Luxeon SP-01-N4

The motion sensor is a CEG007100.

I'm at a loss.

Also, any suggestions on whether to use a relay or an optoisolator/transistor to control the the big battery?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Gee, is your Google search function broken? The Luxeon SP-02-N4 is a single LED module that requires up to 1 A of DC with a compliance voltage of at least 3 V. A constant-current power supply is recommended. The CEG007100 is surplus OEM product imported from China. It is rated to operate from 4.5 to 20 V DC. Its output appears to be a logic level, high being 3.0 volts and low being 0 volts. It is anybody's guess as to how much current it can sink or source, but probably not enough to light up your LED strobe. An interface to convert the logic level to a relay contact closure for the LED is advised. This interface could be as simple as a power transistor or MOSFET and a resistor. You should experiment.

Rory Starkweather

Nov 13, 2014
Gee, is your Google search function broken? The Luxeon SP-02-N4 is a single LED module that requires up to 1 A of DC with a compliance voltage of at least 3 V. A constant-current power supply is recommended. The CEG007100 is surplus OEM product imported from China. It is rated to operate from 4.5 to 20 V DC. Its output appears to be a logic level, high being 3.0 volts and low being 0 volts. It is anybody's guess as to how much current it can sink or source, but probably not enough to light up your LED strobe. An interface to convert the logic level to a relay contact closure for the LED is advised. This interface could be as simple as a power transistor or MOSFET and a resistor. You should experiment.

I apologize for not googling the information. I will try to take more advantage of available resources in future.

Thank you for your quick and comprehensive answer.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Thank you for your quick and comprehensive answer.

Do you need help in testing the PIR device? Do you know how to purchase, or build, a constant-current power supply to drive the LED? The title of your post implies you intend to rapidly flash (strobe) the LED on and off. How fast? How many on-off cycles per minute or second or whatever? How do you intend to accomplish the flashing, if that is what you intend to do? A relay, even a reed relay, may not be suitable for fast strobing. Is the PIR device going to illuminate the LED when it "sees" a human being in its field of view? It would be helpful if you could upload hi-res pictures of both sides of the PIR device so we can attempt to identify the power connections and the output connection. The image at the link I provided in post #2 shows only a three-pin, board-mounted, in-line connector. Presumably one pin is "ground"; one pin is "supply"; and the third pin is the "output". But which pins are which?