Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help with Surround Stereo System? Please Help!

DrunkenSamurai

Nov 24, 2014
Hello, I'm new to these forums and was curious to if anyone could help me out.
I recently came across an old surround sound receiver and figured I'd make some use of it since I no longer have any sort of stereo to use. I went and bought a set of the Monoprice 8247 5.1 Surround Speakers that I planned to use with my receiver. The only problem is once i got the speakers in the mail I wired it all up just to find out that the auxiliary port on the receiver does not work. This is how I planned to wire it up. I wanted to plug into my computer to use for movies/gaming etc. So now pretty much I'm looking for a new reciver to use.
The speakers 5 speakers i have are each 125watts, 8ohm, and 150 Hz - 20 kHz. And the sub woofer is at 60watts (RMS), and 50 Hz to 250 Hz.
I'm trying not to spend a ton of money on a new reciver but would also like something with the possibility of using with better speakers in the long run
I was looking around on newegg yesterday and came across a few things i believe might work, but i really want to make sure before i go spending anymore money.
I was looking at the 1000watt Technical Pro RX38UR and the 1500watt Technical Pro RX-B503. I'm not really sure what I should get or if either of these would even work.
Please let me know. Thank you.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I've just finished reading some reviews and marketing descriptions of the "Technical Pro" receiver-amplifiers. Very entertaining. Some creative writing there, for sure! Their "surround 1000W" tuner/amp is actually stereo, and claims only 75W per channel, and I suspect that's a lie too! But you get what you pay for, and as long as it works... Well, some of the reviews say that it does!

You shouldn't have any problem connecting the line or headphone output of a desktop or laptop computer to the front panel input of an amplifier, using a stereo cable with a 3.5 mm plug at each end.

Check that the computer's sound output works by plugging headphones into it. If you have a multimeter, test for continuity between the matching parts of the plugs on the cable. Make sure it's plugged into the right input, and that input is selected. Check that the amp works with other input sources (e.g. the tuner). If you still get no sound, maybe the amp is faulty.