Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help with transistor for Fan controller

bushido

Oct 28, 2011
Hello all,

I have a fan controller for my PC, it controls five fans, therefore there are five transistors.

This is the fan controller. I have http://www.aerocool.us/peripheral/xvision.htm

unfortunately, one of the transistors is broken, so I need to replace it. Please can you have a look at the attached photo.

However, have a more interesting question. I would like to upgrade the transistors. The reason for this is that each channel is meant to support eight watts.

I will put three fans on one channel, however, this heatsink connected the transistor gets extremely hot. And there is no cooling fan. So my idea is to upgrade the transistors, upgraded heatsink and install a small fan as well.

I have tested all the fans at low speed, while the transistors are heating up. I apply a fan and everything is cool. However, I am wondering if the transistors are too small and if in the very near future they might break. I would appreciate any support on this,

Thank you

Attachments

• Transistor.jpg
    Transistor.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 348

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
the transistors in the photo are 2SB772

what sort of fans are they ? read off the voltage and current
for example 12V 250mA they may even have a Wattage eg 1.2W, 850mW etc

Dave

bushido

Oct 28, 2011
Hello Dave & OLIVE2222

thank you so much for the response, so if I understand, I can effectively continue to use the transistors but include Abigail heatsink. I must admit the heatsink, which is presently on the unit is incredibly small.

Here is a breakdown of the fine structure

transistor number one - three fans 120mm with LEDs
transistor number two - three fans 120mm know led's
transistor number three - dual fan 80mm
transistor number four - single fan
transistor number five - single fan

please let me know where I can actually buy these items from, if it can be found on eBay that would be great because I am presently in Spain. Spain is not known for its wealth of electronic components.

also, do you think I need to put her fan on the heatsink.

Thank you ever so much for your support,

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Yes, those that looks the same are the correct ones.
Notice that if there's a letter R, Q, P, or E on the transistor it may signify the gain classification. The E ranks higher than R.
I don't know if the ones on the controller are classed/ranked, but given the choice you may want one of the higher ranks.
If you look in the datasheet that Olive2222 provided a link to you'll also see that the maximum internal temperature allowed is 150 deg. C.
I've even seen a transistor work for hours with melted solder joints (>183 deg. C) so they're more robust than you would think.
A small fan will quadruple the effectiveness of the heatsinks, even at low speed.

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
Be warned that Ebay is famous for they counterfeit parts ! many of them can be lower grade restamped semiconductors. better to source from an authorized dealer RS, mouser, Digikey, Farnell...

bushido

Oct 28, 2011
Be warned that Ebay is famous for they counterfeit parts ! many of them can be lower grade restamped semiconductors. better to source from an authorized dealer RS, mouser, Digikey, Farnell...

I do agree with you however try to find a place like that in Spain. HAHAHAH, that is not going to be easy.

Thank you

bushido

Oct 28, 2011
Can anyone supply them to me, via this forum. I can pay via paypal etc.

Thank you

bushido

Oct 28, 2011

Thank you veru much,

Is there any chance you could recommend one from this list as I have get the items quickly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...nkw=2sb772&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

Thank you very much !!!!!!! :))))

bushido

Oct 28, 2011

The faster will be one of the two spain one. Hong-kong, china, Taiwan will be slower, probably around 3 weeks.

for the BD176 this one should be fast:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transistor-...856?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ea3ed968

Thank you all for your help, this is a great forum.

How do I make the post, so that it shows there is a solution here.

Thank you

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Thank you all for your help, this is a great forum.

How do I make the post, so that it shows there is a solution here.

Thank you

just post in your thread (this thread) as you have been and tell us all what you did :)

cheers
Dave

bushido

Oct 28, 2011
Hello all,

I have received the new party at, however I have tasted the existing solution with a small fan. Without a gentle breeze blowing over the heatsinks, the heatsinks get extremely hot. However, with the use of a fan they stay extremely cool and the factors not need to be a high-speed. This solution was provided within this thread.

So I have bought a 40 x 40 mm fan from eBay which is normally used for VGA cooling graphic cards, however regarding this situation, I deem this fan most appropriate.

Thank you all for your support and I look forward to using this forum a lot more frequently.

Thank you

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Excellent news bushido.

Forced airflow over a heatsink makes a dramatic difference to its efficiency. Adding a fan is probably the simplest option in an already built device.

Many people prefer to use passive cooling (i.e. no fan) because it's quieter and there is less to fail, but fans clearly have their place. If it is the best solution for you, then that's OK. :)

bushido

Oct 28, 2011
Excellent news bushido.

Forced airflow over a heatsink makes a dramatic difference to its efficiency. Adding a fan is probably the simplest option in an already built device.

Many people prefer to use passive cooling (i.e. no fan) because it's quieter and there is less to fail, but fans clearly have their place. If it is the best solution for you, then that's OK. :)

thank you very much

I do agree that fans do have their place, and general life of the fan is quite a long time to say the very least. I will drop the voltage from 12 V to 6 holes for the phone, therefore reducing the noise exponentially. Thank you once again for your support