Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need info on Ethernet to WIFI Module

rapidrelays

Feb 15, 2013
I have many devices in my house that use ethernet connection and would like to convert the pins of my ethernet ports into WIFI. I know i can just buy some cheap 30 dollar ethernet to WIFI box like the one IOGEAR makes but that would not be very fun. This would mean i have a box and a wire still sticking out the back of wired devices. Since i like to tinker with electronics i want to open each device and install a "wifi board" and connect it to the pins of the ethernet port from inside the devices. My question is i am seeing WIFI chips all over the place and some very cheap. Can i simply connect some pins to the ethernet or will this project be more complex? I see a lot of WIFI to serial boards but no ethernet to WIFI boards. If anyone knows where i can get this on the super cheap let me know. Or if not perhaps i can get some plans to build my own? I am hoping an expert can help me on this one....

Adrian

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Check out the TPLink WR703N

But that might be exactly what you don't want.

WIFI is significantly different to ethernet, so there is no simple "wire it up" device. You need some "brains" between the two.