Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need info on Gardner-Denver Wire Wrap Tool

dringrn

Aug 15, 2013
Inherited a Gardner-Denver Wire wrap tool 14XA2. I know it is used for electronic circuits of some sort, but really have no clue what it is or if it is still used for anything. Is it worth anything to someone who does work with electronics? Thanks for any info. Just trying to see what to do with this tool.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It is used for making wire wrap connections.

These are not so often used these days, but they were once a standard way of building 1-off logic circuits. A special wire (which IS still available) was used with this tool to create tightly wrapped joints on special sharp edged square posts.

Some of these tools are a no-moving-part device that looks a bit like a screwdriver (but has a cylindrical head with a couple of holes in it) right up to electrically operated tools =.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
It's one of the more expensive wire-wrap tools available.
Not many people probably do wire-wrap any more, but the tools are still sold, so someone is.
If you have the bits that go with it, keep them with the wrap-tool.
If you have no use for it, you might be able to sell it on ebay to someone who will want it.

dringrn

Aug 15, 2013
Thanks for the info :)

I don't know what other tools go with it. It has a small "tip" that looks like a needle but has a blunt end. This spins when I pull the trigger. Are there other pieces I should look for? I have not finished going through all the tools yet. Any idea on a value? My Uncle left all this stuff and I'm trying to help my Aunt dispose of it. Thanks a lot.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
That 'tip' is the wire-wrap bit.
There are different sizes depending on what size wire you're using. The bits can be
pretty expensive, so it's good that you have at least one of those with the tool.
(The tool will be able to accept other size bits that whoever gets it will be able to buy).
The tool is expensive, but don't get your hopes up too high about making a profit on it,
because there just aren't that many people that use them any more.
(If you DO find other bits for the tool in your search of what your Uncle had, keep them
with the tool. They'll look the same, the size of the hole in the tip will be different).
Good luck if you try to make some money off of it for your aunt.
Oh, there aren't any other parts to the tool. Just the interchangeable bits.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Added to all of that, if you go the eBay route, you may find only 1 person is interested and it goes for the minimum bid.

If you start with a high minimum bid you may get no takers and higher fees. eBay is a bit of a gamble unless you have at least 2 people who want what you have to sell.

dringrn

Aug 15, 2013
Many thanks to all for the replies

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for more bits. Not trying to make a fortune, just wanted to know what I was selling! I haven't found one that looks exactly like this, but my Uncle hadn't done any electronic work in many years, so it's probably an older one. Thanks again.:)

Jim Scott

Nov 1, 2013
The Gardner Denver model is no longer available. At least I have not been able to find a source. GD sold off this division of the company to Cooper Tools who have recently been acquired by APAX. I have contacted them without success so far. They do list bits, but I cannot say if they are for this model. You can contact APAX directly or through a distributor, such as Allied Electronics.

I have had my 14XA2 wire wrap gun since the mid 1970's. I have bits, but mine just broke. Grrrrr....

I would be interested in getting this tool from you *if* it still works.

You can mail me off list: jimDOTscottATscottelectronicDOTcom

Thanks! Hoped the info helped.