Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need some basic help re: strobes & batteries

tabs

Oct 14, 2010
Hi all,

I'm aware that what I'm about to ask is probably incredibly simple, but I know enough about electronics to know that I know nothing about electronics, so I thought I'd seek a second opinion. Here goes;

I have six battery powered strobes, each of which takes 4xAA cells. Here's what I need to do with them;

1. have all the batteries remote, approx. 2m away.
2. have all the strobes trigger together via a pushbutton, which I'm planning to do via an arduino & mosfet combination.
3. ideally reduce the quantity of batteries required. This is where my question comes in;

Rather than use 24 AA batteries, could I use three 12V batteries with two strobes wired into each?

I should add that this is for a stage prop that needs to be used only once, so the solution needs not be as robust as something that would be used day in day out.

Thanks,

tabs

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
why not grab a 6v sla battery instead? this is both rechargeable and is the exact voltage requirement for your strobes.

tabs

Oct 14, 2010
Hey Donkey,

I guess I could, but I can't find any 6v battery boxes. I guess I'll have the same issue with 12v batteries too. WHat would be the best way to connect bear wires to a 6v battery?

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
depends on the battery
for example most small sla batteries use a crimp tool connection known as slip on/push on sleeves to match a flat connector.
the battery in a torch is best connected with alligator clips
a standard car battery has those big rings with a bolt through em
there are several more too