Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need something for just switching between 3 lights

Always Some Project

Aug 28, 2018
Hi folks.
First time post and don't know whether I'm in the right part of the forum but will see.

Long story short, I've acquired a set of traffic lights which I intend on fitting in my pub but have been looking for a 'simple' , off the shelf, programmable controller to just switch between the three lights constantly and hopefully have a memory after power off.

Already have the crossing lights up with a controller that I bought from China (Frm01) but that can only control two outputs.

UK based so 240v and using G4 2.5W bulbs.

Many thanks
Gordon

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
I did a quick Google sortie and found that the older incandescent traffic lights in the UK do indeed use 230V, and consume about 50W; but the newer LED lights use a safer 48V and consume about 17W. According to my quick look.
www.somerset.gov.uk/EasySiteWeb/GatewayLink.aspx?alId=85320

So if the "bulbs" of your traffic light are 2.5W, they sound a little puny for a traffic light, but they're in the ball park for an LED light and definitely not enough for an incandescent. So I'd double check the voltage it runs on before applying your pub's 240V line voltage to it.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
There are many traffic light control circuits out there ranging from 555 timer control circuits up to microcontroller systems.

Don't know of any pre-built module off hand.
Sometimes, rather than build, one can get access to ready-built for a couple of dollars but I had a quick look and saw nothing on Ebay at least.

If you have some experience with building simple electronics then the 555 would be the way to go.
Microcontrollers, although also simple, do require some programming knowledge/experience even if you were to copy an already available code.

As for interfacing between the above and the 240v lights, relays or solid state equivalents
I'd tend to give some thought to using say 1w or 3w LEDs or perhaps a matrix of smaller 20ma LEDs and low voltage plug pack as much safer for you to set up..

This might get you started......
http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/30 LED Projects/30 LED Projects.html#33

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If you're not bothered by the actual sequence then three simple 'flasher' units (car indicator modules) and 12V bulbs would fit the bill.

If you want to sequence the lights as they are supposed to run then it's a little more involved.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Depending on whet exactly you want, it should not be too difficult to conjure something up. What are you like building circuits?

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Remembering the last state when powered off is the key req. For this you need something that remembers (duh), such as a microcontroller with a bit of flash or eeprom memory, a very low power battery-backed circuit, or latching relays. The relays are by far the most expensive way to go, but you get a nice background click when the lights change, which might be a feature rather than a bug.

ak

Always Some Project

Aug 28, 2018
I've ripped the original internals out and am using these 'bulbs' as they don't have to be overly bright.
Will add a couple of photos of what I've done and used for the cross lights 20180828_180724.jpg 20180828_180555.jpg 20180828_180724.jpg 20180828_180555.jpg as don't seem to be able to upload a video.

Did find something which looked suitable from India but think it may require a better soldering skill that mine.
http://www.edgefxkits.com/programma...trial-automation-in-repetitive-nature-of-work

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
A very simple traffic light controller can be made using a 555 and a 4017 (with wired-OR diode outputs).

Do you want the traffic light sequence to be 'accurate' i.e. R, R+A, G, A, R or just a simple R, A G, A, R 'loop'?

Always Some Project

Aug 28, 2018
Will have a look at the controllers your talking about. Not too bothered about an accurate sequence as is more a talking point/quirky item.

I'm not to bad with a bit of McGyver-ing so quite happy to plod away but knew I'd need some experienced help when it came to this. The crossing lights were easy as I found the controller by accident and after working out by trial and error with the variables on the FRM01 board and some simple parts it works fine (yes there is a little annoying click :)

Very much appreciated for all your help folks.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Why is remembering the last active state when powered off a requirement?

ak