Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need to fix a printed circuit board

RCS

Sep 14, 2012
I have a circuit board off of a Garmin GPS device that needs to be repaired. A part has come off the circuit board that is the female connector to the USB port that allows me to transfer data to/from my GPS device.

Attached to this email are two photos of the circuit board and USB female connector that came apart from the circuit board. The circuit board is approximately the size of a quarter.

Does anyone know of a person that could fix this circuit board for a reasonable price?

Attachments

• P1070056.JPG
    P1070056.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 175
  • P1070062.JPG
    P1070062.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 148

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Hard to tell from the picture, but if there is no physical damage to either the socket or the board, I'll solder it back together for you no charge, just cover my cost for shipping and the padded envelop to ship it back to you... First class mail and envelop should be about $2 total... If it needs further repair beyond just soldering we can discus that further at that point...

Here is an email you can contact me at, I will only check this for the next 48 hours after that the email will self destruct...

bleckyocseg (at) dunflimblag.mailexpire.com

Last edited:

RCS

Sep 14, 2012
Thank you for the offer. Email sent.

Hard to tell from the picture, but if there is no physical damage to either the socket or the board, I'll solder it back together for you no charge, just cover my cost for shipping and the padded envelop to ship it back to you... First class mail and envelop should be about $2 total... If it needs further repair beyond just soldering we can discus that further at that point...

Here is an email you can contact me at, I will only check this for the next 48 hours after that the email will self destruct...

bleckyocseg (at) dunflimblag.mailexpire.com

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
If anyone cares, this item was mailed to me and is already on the way back to the OP as we speak, they should have it any day now all fixed up... To the OP's credit he was very attentive, prompt and professional about getting the item to me for repair with an included self addressed stamped envelope for return, no dragging his feet, and this made it all go smooth... Small repairs like this are borderline fun (it's still work :) ) when it's this smooth...

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
"I love it when a plan comes together!" - Hannibal, "The A Team"

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well done. Also to RCS for making it as easy as possible for CocaCola.

RCS

Sep 14, 2012
If anyone cares, this item was mailed to me and is already on the way back to the OP as we speak, they should have it any day now all fixed up... To the OP's credit he was very attentive, prompt and professional about getting the item to me for repair with an included self addressed stamped envelope for return, no dragging his feet, and this made it all go smooth... Small repairs like this are borderline fun (it's still work :) ) when it's this smooth...

Thank you very much for the kind words and excellent work! The repaired circuit board arrived today. It looked like a brand new circuit board, very professional job and very professional packaging.

I installed the repaired circuit board in the gps unit and tested data transfer through the circuit board several times. Works great. I've attached a few pictures of the gps unit before and after installation.

CocaCola, you are a lifesaver. I had no way to repair the unit and with your help I now have a unit that is better than new.

Attachments

• Waiting for part.JPG
    Waiting for part.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 161
  • Plug in back.JPG
    Plug in back.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 118
  • It works.JPG
    It works.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 128

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Glad to hear it's all working, and as you said 'better than new' I believe this to be true as the original socket was done in a reflow oven with your standard bare minimum amount of screened on solder paste... This leaves just a surface to surface soldering connection... When I soldered it down. I was a little heavier with the solder and made a little fillet with the solder up the sides of the anchor points... This should result in a stronger overall hold...

Good luck with the unit and hopefully you get many years more of service from it now...