Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need to get a 2 wire input to be a 1 wire output.

Muadi

Jul 23, 2015
Hi, thanks for taking the time to look at this one.

I'm trying to figure out how to get 2 independent wire inputs to a single output.

Wire 1 and Wire 2 will each have 3 possible states... neutral, positive, negative.

Wire 1 and Wire 2 are independent from one another, an neither will ever be active at the same time. The steady state of the circuit is neutral... so Wire 1 and Wire 2 will both be neutral at the same time. But when one is positive or negative, the other will be neutral. Neither wire will ever be powered at the same time.

When either Wire 1 or Wire 2 becomes positive or negative, I need Wire 3 to be the same state.

If Wire 1 is neutral (or Wire 2 is neutral), Wire 3 needs to be neutral.
If I engage Wire 1 to positive, Wire 3 needs to be positive.
If I engage Wire 1 to negative, Wire 3 needs to be negative..... etc

I don't need Wire 1 (or Wire 2) to pass its energy to Wire 3... Wire 3 can have its own separate power and ground source. I simply need Wire 3 to emulate either Wire 1 or Wire 2.

I have been attempting to use transistors for this, but have not had much luck. Positive will flow, but I can't get negative to 'flow'.

I'm working with 12v.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi Maudi,
I'm trying to figure out how to get 2 independent wire inputs to a single output.
That is simply done with a dpdt switch.
All but the second to last paragraph makes sense.

Can you draw a diagram of what you actually want to do?

Martin

Muadi

Jul 23, 2015
This is the only schematic I have so far. In this example, I'm trying to use the power from Wire 1 to drive Wire 3.

I understand your suggestion of the dpdt switch, but I need this to be hard wired... so that it all occurs automatically.

Attachments

• schematic.pdf
    120.7 KB · Views: 69

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
... but I can't get negative to 'flow'.
How did you expect negative to flow with only a positive power source as shown in the schematic?

Does 'neutral' mean floating or grounded? If floating, then Wire-1 and Wire-2 could each activate a SPST relay that then connects its respective wire to Wire-3. Otherwise a more complicated switching configuration would be necessary to disconnect neutral from Wire-3 before it was switched to positive or negative power.

Muadi

Jul 23, 2015
Neutral means floating.. the wires have no flow... dead.

Big picture. I have a switch that uses 3 wires, but the motors I'm using have 4 inputs. I have that all mapped out, but I need to figure out how to manipulate Wires 1 and 2 to do the job that I need. When Wire 3 is being used, Wire 4 has the opposite polarity, so that will provide the current flow... I didn't initially put this information out because I was hoping to focus on the Wire 1/Wire 2 to Wire 3 thing... so sorry I didn't provide all of the information first. Please keep asking questions... I'm sure I'm forgetting other things at the moment.

Please see the new attachment...

Attachments

• Logic map.pdf
    59.6 KB · Views: 86