Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need to replace Memorex Mi1200 LED display

Scott_in_Benton_AR

May 21, 2016
I have a Memorex Mi1200 iPod dock/CD player/radio (manufactured Sep 2008 in China; distributed by Imation) in which the LED display no longer works. I want to replace the display board and need the specs.

Memorex Consumer Electronics support so far cannot provide the specs. The external display dimensions are about 2.75 inches by 1 inch (about 7 cm by 2.5 cm), and I can see that the circuit board inside the chassis is quite a bit larger.

Can anyone direct me to where I can obtain those specs and, ideally, the part itself or a suitable substitute part?

Sincerely,

Scott
Benton, Arkansas, USA

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Firstly you need to determine if it's the display, the drivers, or the clock itself not working.

Assuming it is the display, it may be possible to figure out the wiring (it's typically pretty simple) and replace it with (say) discrete 7 segment digits.

A photo would be useful. We can then direct you at what we need you to measure, or photograph in more detail, etc.

Scott_in_Benton_AR

May 21, 2016
"Firstly you need to determine if it's the display, the drivers, or the clock itself not working."

--I understand, and this should help: The clock works, and the main display, to my knowledge, shows all messages in addition to the time, which means that the dark LED segments and custom symbols all display properly. (I can only see them with a flashlight, given the unit's design.)

--What doesn't work is the blue back-lighting with one exception: Below the main display are three small indicator lights for each of the three functions: iPod, radio or CD player. Only the leftmost (for the radio) will light up, when I select the radio function, with the bright blue light that would normally illuminate the main display and the other two indicators. Regarding the main display, does this suggest a malfunction in an LED-backlit LCD behind the screen?

"Assuming it is the display, it may be possible to figure out the wiring (it's typically pretty simple) and replace it with (say) discrete 7 segment digits."

Thanks; I'm hoping for a simple fix.

"A photo would be useful. We can then direct you at what we need you to measure, or photograph in more detail, etc."

I'll need to disassemble the unit significantly to take the photos, which I'm willing to do, but I'll first await your reply in light of what I've just shared.

Thanks, Steve,

Scott

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
ok. In that case your display is unlikely to be LED and it sounds like the backlight has failed.

if the backlight was a LED it is unusual for that to fail. It also may be hard to get to in order to replace it.

Time for photos!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Scott . . . . . . .

What are the chances . . . . .staying within the 99.89 100/ths . . .percentile . . . . . . that this is your unit.

Dj9SqfC.jpg

And if so, we will immediately negate the LED categorization and proceed directly to the LCD categorization . . .with that specification, being TRANSMISSIVE LCD to beeven more precise.
And its using BLUE plastic for color filtering in front of it.

I frankly believe that unit will be using a miniature grain of wheat lamp, located centrally just behind the display with soldered in wire leads . . . and its filament has now gone open city to you.
Seek now . . .and ye shall find.

Tell any of the Waltons . . . . .if any are still around . . . .vice Colorado or Ft Worth . . . that Gomer sez HEY !

73's de Edd

Last edited:

Scott_in_Benton_AR

May 21, 2016
Thank you, Steve and Edd. That's precisely the unit in question, Edd, and I'm embarrassed to say that I should have used "LCD" instead of "LED," but I am an electronics novice.

Do either of you think I could detach the burnt-out lamp and solder in its place a tiny LED (using that term properly for a change)?

I'll disassemble and send photos when I can.

Thanks again very much, and depending on which Waltons you mean, Edd, I'm hundreds of miles away. :)

Scott

Scott_in_Benton_AR

May 21, 2016
Disassembly of the display board requires removing three layers of screws and their associated boards, not to mention disconnecting several wires and cables. I've been able to remove the unit's front plastic cover (smoke-tinted; the center portion of the front as seen in Edd's photo above) and the gear assembly that operates it without trouble, and I notice that the LCD works fine and is easily readable with ambient light. In fact, all three indicator lights actually work when the iPod is attached and a CD installed. (I bought this unit used so have no prior experience with its operation.)

The back light must be located on the front of the display board (which I can't see from the inside) and soldered in place, so I'd have to remove that board just to have a look. Because that seems like too much work for a novice and problematical to fix, and because I can correct the issue by cutting a rectangle out of the front plastic cover in front of the LCD display, I'll try that first.

I'll return if I have to resort to electronic surgery, but regardless, thank you both very much!

Scott

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The only real caution I have is that depending on the construction you may have the opportunity to remove the LCD from its contacts. The contacts are often in the form of conductive rubber making a connection to transparent metal plating on the glass. Whilst technically you can remove and replace them, in practice it rarely works out well.

If you're lucky, the entire LCD module can be removed as a unit and you can gain access to the backlight some other way than disassembling the LCD assembly.

There are a number of ways of providing the backlight. If it is via a grain of wheat lamp, it is more likely that the is some practical method of replacement than if a LED or EL panel I'd used.

good luck.